Sunday, August 17, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching - Applique

Applique is something I've always wanted to do, and I really admire appliqued quilts. It has been a gentle learning curve for me and since I know that the only way to improve is to practice, I have been practicing on "pumpkin seed" blocks. You can see some of my first blocks, and the tools that I use on this post.  Over the past year, my needle turn applique has greatly improved from all this practice.


I was able to confidently applique these four blocks for my Votes For Women quilt last year. 

I only had one more block (block #49) to finish for that quilt so I thought I'd work on that for Slow Sunday Stitching this week.
It was a simple block really, and I just had to construct the wedges, then applique the curve. It went so quickly, it's already done, so I had to look for something else to applique today!
I came across a beautiful free applique block of the month pattern. If you like applique, maybe you will be enticed to start this one - Sycamore Rose.  I was able to exercise restraint (*snort*) and haven't started it (yet!)


It's back to my pumpkin seed blocks for more applique practice today.
What are you hand stitching for Slow Sunday Stitching?! I hope you will slow down today and make some time for stitching! Link up your post below and share your hand work project with us.








18 comments:

Gina said...

Love the applique work. I've got some in the near future and I'm not really looking forward to it xx

Lilian Pilar said...

La aplicacion a puntada escondida solo es practica y mas practica...
Feliz domingo!!!!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

pretty applique, Kathy! :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I agree about applique, when you look back all of a sudden the things you found hard are now doable without much thought.

Deb A said...

Love the two colors you are using to sash the blocks. I found my group of blocks this week in the drawer - I think they might need to get stitched together next month =). Love how your fan block came out. I was thinking a whole quilt of them would look nice.

Cathy said...

I've finally finished my hand appliqued and hand quilted butterfly quilt. I want to thank the folks I've met up with here on Sundays for their inspiration, encouragement and tips!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Looks like you will have a lovely day - love the quote, too. I have a baby shower today, but hope to join in later.

Nita said...

I am also making a pumpkin seed quilt using needle turn applique! Only I call mine an orange peel quilt. I've been working on it for a couple of years now. Maybe I will do a blog post on it today and link up :)

Debbie said...

I'm loving your applique...I may have to try doing some for a pillow one day...not sure I could handle an entire quilt!
Debbie
===^..^===

Janet O. said...

I have admired your consistency with your pumpkin seed blocks. You put me to shame. I also admire applique, but have managed to avoid learning to do it well. Where you make a point of practicing to get better, I make a point of avoiding to never improve. Both of our approaches appear to be working! Nice job! : )

CathieJ said...

I still haven't tackled applique although I know I will someday. The blocks you've completed are very pretty.

Rebecca in AK said...

I really like the Sycamore Rose pattern! Thank you for the link!

Turid said...

Your blocks are so nice. I've not worked a lot with application, but would like to do more of it.

cajunquilter said...

oh WOW! I love the free applique BOM! Guess I need to get those patterns for a future quilt!
Thanks for the linky on Sundays. I enjoy seeing everyones work every chance I have.
Thanks for stopping by my blog also!

Scrappy quilter said...

Great job. Appliqué is not my favorite thing to do. I so admire those that enjoy it

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I too simply enjoy applique as well. Yours looks great Kathy!

jan said...

Love your applique work! looks great.I have appliqued 4 blocks I think so I have lots of room for improvement. Just need a few more hours in the day!
xo jan

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks. Applique is one of the few quilting techniques that I've just not developed a fondness for. I love to look at applique quilts, but have little desire to make one.