Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Another quilt top completed

Ta Da!

The H quilt top is together!
I was pleased with how well the blocks went together, and the borders also went on OK (well, you know me and borders...we don't really get along!).

I'm happy that it sort of looks like a Christmas quilt, but could also be used all year long.

I wanted to use the same flannel for the backing as I did for my other sister-in-law's quilt (which is also still not finished) but I guess I didn't measure properly because I didn't have enough of that flannel.

I briefly considered driving over to the quilt store and buying more, but knowing I didn't have the time forced me to scrounge around in my flannel scrap box and I found enough leftovers to piece the backing.

It's not pretty but it'll do...just barely!

Now that I have suffered through the 2 jobs I don't love...putting on borders and piecing a backing, I get to enjoy 2 of my favorite jobs...pin basting and machine quilting!

Here is my Christmas tin filled with my basting pins, and my trusty  Kwik Klip basting tool which I love. I almost finished the basting tonight.

I have one more 12 hour shift at work and then I am off for the holidays! The bindings I can sew down on Christmas day if need be, but I have to finish the quilting in the next 48 hours...wish me luck!

12 comments:

Vivian said...

Good luck with the quilting deadline. I work best with deadlines, but that's also when I break needles, the thread breaks, and I nearly sew through a finger cuz I'm in a rush.
I won't waste your time with a longer message -- Merry Christmas and get back to quilting!

Libby said...

What a great quilt (and backing, too *S*) Happy quilting and merry, Merry Christmas!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Put on the Christmas music and quilt away! One year, I sewed the binding down by hand in the car on my way to my MIL's for Christmas dinner. I got it done on time...

scraphappy said...

Great H quilt! Hope it all gets done in time. The colors turned out just great. I agree, it is Christmassy, without being limited to that time of year.

Kate said...

Great quilt. The borders may have been a pain, but the red and green really work with the blocks. Congratulations on the finish!

Helen in the UK said...

This is GORGEOUS!! Congrats on making the pieces you had work for the backing. I'm sure you'll reach your goal :)

Judy D in WA said...

What a great quilt! Love the back! :)
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

AnnieO said...

I'd be happy to test-nap under that quilt for you when it's finished, Kathy! I love a flannel backing to snuggle under :)

I have one of those Kwik Klips but never got comfortable with it. Must try again...

Merry Christmas!

Darlene said...

I know you and feel certain you'll make your deadline. :-)

It's a delightful quilt - H for Happy Holidays!

Susan said...

How lovely.........two finished.......

I must try an H quilt sometime and I also liked the idea of your HO quilt.

Pieced backs are so much more interesting but I agree they are not a favorite thing to do.

Linda said...

I love this quilt, it looks great! I work good under pressure too but I'm glad I'm not the one doing it this year. Good luck on finishing in time...Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Allyson said...

Your H quilt is looking very Christmasy. And just in the nick of time. And kudos to you for using up your scraps/stash for the backing. That deserves an award for sure!

Merry Christmas!