Welcome to the Sunday hand stitching party! Make yourself a nice cold (or hot) beverage, take a deep breath, and get out your hand stitching. We hope you will join us in creating hand made items that bring beauty to our world!
I often hear people ask "What are you going to do with that?" or "Who are you making that for?" Earlier in my life I usually had an answer - a reason or occasion that I was starting a project. But now I don't seem to as often, and I usually answer "to make me happy" ( or "sane", depending on the day), or "I am making it for myself", or "I want to create something beautiful". For me, that is enough of a reason.I stitched this Quirky Quaker Pig this week because Deanne from Stitching on the Rock sent the pattern to me. Does anyone "NEED" this lovely little pig?!? Absolutely not! But it made me so happy to stitch her, and the quaker motifs, and the little heart just makes me smile!
Some people really don't understand this and look at me like I have lost my mind. Maybe I have?!? But it is the reason why after 40 years of quilting and hand stitched crafts I am still working on more projects.
Society does not "need" the things I make, and my family certainly doesn't "need" more quilts to stay warm. I do these stitching projects because I can't seem to stop doing it! Truthfully I don't feel well or "like myself" when I don't stitch something. But when I stitched this little wren I was in my own little happy world, using all the colours of thread, wondering how the bird would turn out, and forgetting about all the sadness, trials, disappointments, violence, conflict and loss that humans have to endure.
And what about this thing?
This is a 30 day venture to join with the stitching community and to learn about a small community in Holland called Frisland. Do I need to learn about the women in Holland in the 1800s?!? No, but I want to learn! This is an August stitch along with Jacob of Modern Folk Embroidery called "Fast Frisian" and every day we have a stitching assignment of about 144 stitches. Jacob makes a video each day of the stitch along and has been sharing antique samplers and the lives of the stitchers who created them. Here I have stitched a spinning wheel, a key, a pot of flowers, a comb, and the base of the tree of life image.
So there you have it - three of the projects my hands have touched this week. Today I will be at the Fergus Scottish Festival sitting around a quilting frame and putting stitches into a quilt with quilters I only get to visit once a year!
What are you hand stitching this week? Are you making something useful, or (like me) are you stitching things for relaxing, fun and to make the world a more beautiful place?!?





No comments:
Post a Comment