Sunday, August 16, 2026

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to all the hand stitchers and to the "wannabees! Whether you are a lurker or a daily stitcher, everyone is welcome to celebrate at the weekly party!

I was a "wannabee" for a long time before I met a quilter who invited me to a quilt guild meeting in 1994. And since then I have been smitten by all the beautiful things that hands can create.

Last weekend I attended the Fergus Quilt Guild quilt bee at the Fergus Highland Games. In August they set up a frame to hand quilt together, and they are gracious enough to let me crash the bee/party.


I love this so much and feel like my best self when I'm around a quilt frame. I soak up the visiting, the stitching tips, the stories of the past, and the hilarity of these lovely stitchers. The women around the frame change over time, but the process and the experience is always the same.


This year the quilt was called "Plaidish" and the blocks were made by the guild members. The design is inspired by Scottish plaids, and the double X was quilted in each block to commemorate the Scottish flag.  


I am fascinated by the design, and have been thinking about starting my own version of this quilt - the free pattern and tutorial can be found here. I didn't stay as long around the frame this year because it was soooo hot and humid, and I started to melt. In fact it was so hot that the quilt markings done on Friday by a frixion pen has disappeared by Saturday morning and the quilt had to be re-marked. Those pen marks can be removed by an iron ...or a hot summer inn Ontario in 2026!

And in a bit of synchronicity today I am hand stitching a plaid skirt on the 4th lady on the Flosstube Friends pattern. I am randomly stitching various colours of threads through the skirt to create a feeling of plaid. I seem to be surrounded by the plaid theme!

What are you hand stitching today? Please link up your blog post below and share you slow progress with us!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments: