Sunday, August 18, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching


Hello stitcher! Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party where we hope you will get lots of inspiration and encouragement to help you on your stitching journey!

Last week I was delighted to sit around a frame with friends and hand quilt a special project at the Fergus Scottish Festival. I am on the left side of the frame behind the lamp and loving every minute of stitching the day away!


There were so many wonderful moments in conversation, visiting with friends new and old, and just putting in the stitches. It was so relaxing and it was my privilege to be there with the other quilters again this year.

We also had many other hand crafters set up in the heritage tent. 

This is my friend Pat who is a lace maker. She had one project for the morning, and a different one for the afternoon. I enjoyed watching her make gorgeous lace and told her about the show I have enjoyed watching on Britbox called "Larkrise to Candleford" which features a lacemaker named Queenie, and shows how the industrial revolution changed the lives of the lacemakers at the end of the 19th century. Now I want to watch the whole series again!

We also had spinners and weavers in the crafting tent. I just had to snap a photo when the historical re-enactors visited us! I felt like I was in an episode of Outlander for a minute!

What a glorious day of hand crafting! The weather was a disaster, with periods of rain pouring down, followed by intense sun, heat and humidity. It was a day of putting a jacket on, taking it off and putting it back on again... over and over. And we won't talk about how I wore 2 different shoes to the event!! LOL It was quite the memorable day!

And since then I have finished a baby quilt for my cousin's miracle baby they named  Faythann.  My sister pieced the top in pastel flannels, and chose the backing with a variety of animals, and I did the machine quilting and the hand binding. It's always such a relief when the quilt is finished before the shower!


Here is my 94 year old Auntie and her glorious grandbaby. We are just so thankful and celebrating this new life after my cousin and his wife experienced so many miscarriages previously. She truly is a miracle!



I have also been stitching on some cross stitching projects, but the energy of those projects pale in comparison to all the exciting events of the past week, so I will maybe show those another time.

What are you hand stitching this week? Do you have any special projects to finish for upcoming special events? Link up your blog below and share your progress with us.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

Jill said...

What fun to participate in group stitching specifically at a quilt frame. Thanks for the photo of quilting tools. The new baby will enjoy looking at the backing with the various animals. I have a dear 93-yr old Aunt. Congrats on the sweet tiny baby.

The Cozy Quilter said...

LOL about the shoes--at least your feet were under the quilt frame for most of the day and people were not looking at them--just the beautiful quilt! Sounds like a fun day. The rain this summer has been a lot to deal with. More flooding in some areas again yesterday. What a proud grandma with her new grand-daughter! Glad the quilt was done in time for the shower. Nothing like a deadline to get us to the finish line on a project! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Kate said...

Sorry the weather wasn't cooperative for the festival. It still looks like it was a lot fun. Happy stitching this week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Scottish Festival looks like a lot of fun! It's so neat that you participate in the quilting event every year. And congratulations to your family on the birth of such a special baby! She will be well-loved, I can tell. Have a wonderful, Sunday, Kathy!

Maggie said...

What a fun day, even with the weather. The lace making is so special, would love to learn how to do it. Many years ago, on Mother’s Day at the RA centre in Ottawa they had a lace theme and it was just so beautiful.

Angela said...

I will definitely look for that show! Thanks for the recommendation!

CathieJ said...

I love the photo of your aunt and her granddaughter. So sweet. It is such a shame when festivals like that have poor weather. I think it is great that you were able to contribute to the quilting. I love watching lace making.

Jeanna said...

What a blessing for your cousin. I'm happy for them. Your aunt is over the moon with the new grandbaby, I'm sure. I look forward to seeing your cross stitching.

Marie said...

I love sitting around a frame and quilting - totally therapeutic. It looks like you all enjoyed the weekend. Our church group takes a break over the summer but we'll be starting up again late fall - can't wait.

Karrin Hurd said...

What a great week you have had! So happy for your cousin and their miracle baby!

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I love doing public demos and re-enactments. The kids are always fascinated with the crafts and garb. My best interactions was when I was showing how to use a drop spindle. This little boy came up to me and just stared and stared without saying a word, then ran off. A few minutes later he came back with his adults in tow and announced, "LOOK, that lady is making string out of fluff". Best description of spinning EVER! LOL

Jenny said...

How wonderful to have a precious new baby in the family.