Saturday, August 03, 2024

Love of Scraps

It has been a while since I enjoyed a rummage (a repechage round if you are watching the olympics!) around in the scraps, but this weekend I will have some time to do that. I was inspired by signing up for the Conquer Your Fabric Scraps Summit which will begin August 18th. The timing will be good for me since I will be in olympic withdrawal by then and will welcome something else to dive into 🏊🏊(see how I made that olympic reference right there!)

I sewed two more potato chip blocks this week using the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour, which is Orange for the month of August.  These blocks used 12 orange rectangles and 52 other assorted rectangles. That's a lot of little bits and pieces out of the scrap bag and into a quilt block! 

Of course I had to throw in some Canadiana scraps to honour the olympics!

And here are the 5 blocks I have made so far. They are covering up the project I should be working on that is on the design wall!


I am excited about this project and have decided to finish it using a quilt-as-you-go technique, using white, grey and/or black sashing. But first I have to make 15 more blocks!

Okay now, I must get back to sewing the signature quilt. 

But first... I cut a few more little bits of orange scraps to start the Bonnie Hunter Leader Ender Challenge for 2024 called County Clare.  Bonnie is making her quilt in blues and greens, and I will make my version in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colours. Here is the first test block, and parts sewn for more. I'm in!

Okay... now back to that boring signature quilt!

Linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Quilt Challenge

13 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Your orange blocks are so pretty, like orange sherbet!

Deb A said...

Love the orange as the ring in those potato chip blocks. Enjoy pulling scraps for that challenge.

Jenny said...

Your County Clare us such a pretty block.

Elaine Adair said...

Good luck with your energy to clear up scraps - we all seem to make more and more of them, even with honest efforts to use them - how does that happen?

Sue said...

I'm doing County Clare in the blue & green because I just loved the colors, but I can't wait to see your rainbow version! Also, the consistent color square on the Potato Chip blocks is awesome! It gives some continuity to the randomness. Genius!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We scrappy quilters are really good at giving our scraps a second chance, which is what I think I'm understanding is going on at the Olympics! Your County Clare blocks are wonderful in oranges. I like how you're using the RSC color of the month for the one round of your potato chip blocks, too!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Love the idea of county clare as a rainbow quilt.

Chantal said...

Thanks for the links to Conquer Your Fabric Scraps Summit. I'm in! I'm still resisting Bonnie's Leader/Ender little beauty block. It will be interesting to see one in rainbow colours. Love the addition of the Canadiana fabric in your Potato Chip blocks. Enjoy! ;^)

Angela said...

I love your scrap blocks!

Kate said...

Sounds like you've got some great plans to conquer your scraps. Your potato blocks are really fun. I've been so tempted to follow along with Bonnie's leader and enders project this year, but I'm holding firm on just starting just 2 more new projects this year.

Susie H said...

I think your Potato Chip blocks are beautiful and a fantastic scrap buster. Loving your County Clare blocks too. Don't you just love Bonnie Hunter???? have a great week.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What a fun idea! Using the RSC color for a ring in the potato chip blocks. The oranges look awesome in the BH block, too. :)

Sara said...

Great idea to make those County Clare blocks using the RSC colors each month. The potato chip blocks are such fun. I need to get back to making some soon as I have nearly enough for a quilt top.