Sunday, May 05, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching


Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! It's time to get out your stitching project, make a cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy some relaxation.


Today I want to show you 2 little embroidery projects I saw in the bathroom of a non stitching friend's house. She found them at an antique sale and doesn't know who stitched them or how old they are. Just look at the simplicity of the design and various stitches to achieve textures. Both have been beautifully framed and I just love them!


Look at those swans! The stitching is pure perfection and those french knots are so tiny and beautiful - such a treat for my eyes! I wanted to steal them, but showed great self restraint in just admiring and photographing them. 


What have I been stitching this week?


I sewed another binding on a guild quilt and started the hand stitching on the back. This is a guild quilt - quilt top made by one person, machine quilted by another, and hand bound by a third person. We all do what we love and are able to finish many quilts each year using this tag team approach.

I am also enjoying my Gathering Acorns project by Luminous Fiber Arts. The pattern was given to me by my Stitch North friend Danielle. Instead of using 1 thread, I am using 7 colours of thread. More colours = more fun! This is stitched on 32 count speculaas linen which is so beautiful and soft that I can hardly stand it! My stitches don't look uniform  because I find linen a bit more challenging to stitch than other fabrics (like aida or evenweave).  But from far away, the stitches look fabulous! 


That's what is going on in my stitchy world this week. What are you hand stitching? Do you have any slow progress to share today? Link up your blog post below and let us cheer you on!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

Kim said...

More colours certainly does equal more fun. Those embroideries of your friend certainly are treasures. Wasn't she lucky to find them at the antique sale?? Enjoy binding the quilt. Fabulous you have a tag team in operation to finish the quilts quickly.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Lovely embroideries! I wonder who made them? You are doing very well stitching on linen. My eyes are just not capable of that challenge any more! I love sewing the binding on a quilt too.

Julierose said...

I jus love those two stitched pictures--and your stitching on that linen looks just beautiful...enjoy your sunday Slow stitching hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

Those framed stitcheries are very well done. My stitches are never that even! Enjoy your slow stitching today.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your group approach to finishing charity quilts is a great idea! I would enjoy sewing the bindings for projects like that. Love the look of your Gathering Acorns stitching on the linen. Have a wonderful Sunday, Kathy!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those are two pretty embroideries. I will try to work on my hexies today to advance them a little further.

Sarah said...

I agree those little antique pictures are lovely. There is great movement on the swans!

CathieJ said...

Those embroidered finds are fabulous! It is amazing how simple stitches can produce a beautiful picture. Enjoy stitching that binding today. I am one of those people who don't mind working on binding at all. Your cross-stitc looks beautiful.

Angela said...

What a great find! Those embroideries are a treasure!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy May, Kathy! You have had another busy week. Your cross stitch looks amazing. I love the embroideries -they are treasures. Enjoy your week.