Saturday, October 30, 2021

Scrappy Saturday

My October placemat featuring light green QST blocks is done! This month's placemat creation was quite the interesting journey! It started with little HST blocks that wanted to be sweet little 1 3/8" QST blocks.  Many blog readers voted on a sashing fabric, and the green batik crackle fabric was the fan favourite by far.


The quilting was relaxing - straight lines with the walking foot between the columns, and sometimes (if I remembered) in the ditch also. And I stitching some free motion vines and leaves on the 2 side borders.

Ahhhh... the most relaxing part is hand stitching the binding. Here you can see the lovely green backing fabric, and you can also see the fact that two of the stitching lines are missing. That's okay... it lays flat and I am a recovering perfectionist, so I'm leaving it as it is! 

And here is October's finished project!


Linking up to the Table Scraps Challenge,  the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and Wendy will link me up to the mini quilts challenge at Constant Quilters.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, that turned out so cute! Congrats on a great finish.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Very nice way to use up those little scraps. More scraps could be arriving in your mailbox soon…

The Cozy Quilter said...

Very nice way to use up those little scraps. More scraps could be arriving in your mailbox soon…

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is really pretty, Kathy - your chains of QSTs remind me of a bead curtain! I like the in between fabric you used and the borders, too. Enjoy stitching that binding!

Angie said...

Very cute finish! I like the "modern" look of it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I bet you had fun putting that together, Kathy! Super scrappy in a controlled sort of way. It made a great little runner for your October TABLE SCRAPS Challenge entry! Thanks for joining the Link Party.

Deb A said...

Great finish. The crackle fabric was perfect.

Ivani said...

It is a pretty placemat, Kathy. Great use os all those thiny scraps.

Kathy S. said...

That's such a fun table scraps challenge entry! Great use of those greens. I kinda like it that it is missing two rows of stitching! Nice finish.

LA Paylor said...

how cool is this! Love the tiny blocks in there and I find hand stitching the binding relaxing too. Do you like the wool mat for ironing?