Thursday, August 22, 2019

Seam Struggles

This week I have been working on my Christmas tree skirt... or table topper, whichever it wants to become. I really wanted it to be finished in time for Christmas, but at this speed it will be Christmas of 2020. It's a lot of piecing, which usually is enjoyable for me, but I am having a terrible time with sewing these star blocks. 
There are 8 places where the points need to line up correctly and they are not. Most of the seams I have sewn 2 or 3 times to get it to an "I can tolerate that" stage. 
I prefer a "that looks great" stage, but that is not happening with these blocks. 
See where the seam ripper is pointing? That particular section of the seam has been sewn twice and still I can't stand it. Rip it out, and try again.
Pin, pin, pin, sew, rip, rip, rip - repeat.


Here is the first block finished. You wouldn't know it to look at it, but it was absolutely hours of work and it's only tolerable! I think I've decided it needs to be a tree skirt so that lots of presents can sit on top of all the terrible seam joins!
4 more blocks still to finish!
Pin, pin, pin, sew, rip, rip, rip - repeat.

16 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

It is frustrating when things don't go the way we want, but I think you are being too hard on yourself. Your points all look wonderful to me.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, that would frustrate me to no end, but I think it looks good. I don't like ripping and re-ripping. Uffda.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are being too hard on yourself - who will look at the seams but you? but yes I do some ripping like that at times too

MissPat said...

I do the same thing, so while I like the look of this block, I'm not even going to attempt it. Thanks from saving me from hours of frustration and good luck. But, honestly the block looks fine.
Pat

Louise said...

It's a really neat block design so I understand why you want to get it right. And only you can decide when it is "right enough." :)

Needled Mom said...

That’s a lot of seams to match! It IS a great looking block.

Robin said...

Sorry this block is giving you such grief because it is very pretty. Good thing you weren't planning a large quilt with these though.

Deanna W said...

If you are snowballing that corner may I suggest that you make sure to sew on the outside of the diagonal line. This allows more fabric for turning and trimming. I have better luck pre trimming the diagonal off and adding triangles..as Bonnie Hunter does.

Lisa J. said...

This sounds so frustrating Kathy. I hope you can love it in the end.

Jenny said...

You are better than me, I probably would have given up by now!

CathieJ said...

I haven't sat at a sewing machine in quite some time because the last quilt that I tried to piece is coming out all wonky. I can't stand it. I am sort of dreading starting a quilt for my daughter, because it has y-seams and very thin strips. I don't know if I will be able to do it. I wish you a future of all your seams lining up. The first start is quite beautiful.

Mary said...

Pins are your friends. It looks great. Maybe the next 3 will go easier. Good luck!

Chantal said...

I hear your frustration, sister, as I have been there many times with 365 Challenge. Best of luck with the other blocks. ;^)

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Frustrating... but will make a beautiful graphic tree skirt - and even without presents on top, the points will read "sharp" enough!

hip roof barn said...

"Pin, pin, pin, sew, rip, rip, rip - repeat" sounds all too familiar. Despite the frustration, your patch looks graat.

Sarah said...

I feel your frustration! But it will look great eventually and if it's on the floor surrounded by lots of lovely presents the odd mismatched seam won't notice. Fingers crossed!