Sunday, April 16, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to Slow Sunday Stitching where we celebrate the art of creating with SLOW hand stitches. Today is Easter Sunday, so I am wishing a Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates this.
I'm moving more slowly than usual after a couple of weeks of living at breakneck speed everyday. Today I am not doing anything I don't want to do. I am not doing paperwork, or housekeeping, or yard work, or errands. I am just going to BE. That's my goal today. 
Just BE. 
"This is where you left off stitching... right here"!

I was inspired to reflect on this after reading a Huffington Post article by Jodi Gibson called "Have We Forgotten How to Be"? She definitely described me. She wrote: "We feel every moment should be productive in one way or another".
When I was speaking at the Haldimand guild this past week I was talking about how I organize myself to work on many projects at the same time and I actually said: "I never waste time". It's true. I rarely just sit and relax, and BE. If I have "down" time, it is filled with activity of some sort. That's not always a good thing.
My Granddog Max is the best inspiration for doing "nothing". This is the stare down he gives you when you try to do anything else but pay total attention to him. He will insist that you stop whatever you are doing to cuddle him. 
Today I will take a few moments to just BE. To sit still and not DO anything. It will be a challenge for me, which is sad, and is even more reason why I need to do it. 

What are you doing today? Will you spend a few moments to just BE? What are you hand stitching today, in between moments of BEING? Link up your blog post below and tell us about your hand stitching project.


   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning coffee is usually my time to sit in the conservatory and just watch the birds in the garden, even then I might pick up a little cross-stitch project! Happy Easter :-)

Sarah said...

It's hard just to BE. I too have set aside today to do my own thing totally, but to not have any sewing, embroidery, crochet in my hands will be tough! Wonder how long I can last. Happy Easter

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy Easter to you and your family! Nice to see Max has been visiting. I love his cheeky grin! My life is a whirlwind too. It's really hard to just sit and BE when there is always so much to do.

Created by Kathi said...

Have a blessed Easter Sunday and I hope you enjoy just being and encouraging us to join in! I was happy not to prewrite my post today but to read yours first then write mine... you are such an inspiration when I think I have not much to share! lol Kathi

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great sentiment! I have to work hard it seems just to be which is mind defying. I think it is my multitasking/working mother mentality that is still so much with me though now retired. Hard to shake off old habits, I guess. But all the hand work does help. Thanks for this post.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOL Max !! :)

Ivani said...

Happy Easter! Enjoy just be.

Kristin said...

Congratulations on this life lesson. I have noticed as I get older, the importance of down time. Enjoy your Slow Easter Sunday!

MissPat said...

Ah, yes, it is very hard to just be. Jodi hit the nail on the head. Thank you for Slow Sunday Stitching and doing your part to get us to slow down. I'm going to go out and stare down some daffodils before it rains again.
Pat

CathieJ said...

I always feel guilty when I relax and just be even if that means that I am reading a book or playing a game on the computer. Happy Easter! Enjoy your down time.

Pam said...

What a cute pooch!

Missy Shay said...

I have a hard time being still also, even when watching tv I am on the computer or working on a project. I have been trying to apply the Bible verse "Be still and know that I am God".It is so easy to be so busy that you forget all about God. Your post made me think of this verse again. Thanks for the reminder.

Rebecca Grace said...

Yes, my dogs are always reminding me to just slow down and appreciate the joy of just being alive. Sometimes the laundry can just wait while I cuddle up on the floor and pet that furry belly! :-)

Maker Joy said...

What a wonderful way to spend the day. I attempt to do this each year as my birthday gift to me. Some years are even successful! :) I hope you and Max had a great day.

Kate said...

Hope you were able to slow down a bit yesterday. It seems we were moving at the full speed much of the weekend. We love spending time with the family, but it sometimes seems we do a lot of running in order to get in visits with everyone. Thankfully today has been a bit of a down day.

Miaismine said...

Thank you so much for such a helpful and timely post. Perhaps this will help us to remember to just be and be ok with that. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!