Thursday, April 27, 2017

Grand Illusion Resurfaces

This quilt was a Quiltville mystery that started in November 2014. Although I enjoyed piecing it, and really liked the fabrics I had originally picked, it never really grew on me like most quilts do. I did make two changes that helped me to like the quilt more (removed the green and changed the border) but still it didn't make my heart sing. 
So I decided that it would be a comfort quilt to donate to my quilt guild. Once that was decided, the quilt project fell deep into the UFO closet!
This Saturday my quilt guild is having a Bee Day, so this is the quilt I'm going to spend the day working on. I am collecting the leftover blocks and yardage to be organized and gathering all the supplies I will need to move this quilt forward toward a finish.

10 comments:

Jo said...

I'm sure you will get it to a finish and the end result will be lovely...

Unknown said...

Great way to rid yourself of an unloved project, AND have fun in the process!!! Win/win! (lynnstck[at]yahoo.com)

SandraC said...

The fabrics I chose for this quilt turned out too wild for me. I recently donated the top to our Cuddle Quilts team at the Guild....where they make quilts to donate to various good causes.

MissPat said...

This was a BH mystery that I waited for the reveal and was glad I did. It was way too busy and I liked the movement of the focus block, I didn't have the time or energy to devise a different setting. I just inished my En Provence flimsy (only did 9 blocks) and I think I'll take a Bonnie break for a while.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I am with you on this design, the sharp angles look like an electrical shock. Making it a donation is a great idea, someone will like it.

Mary said...

I made a smaller version, so I have a set of extra blocks somewhere around here. I had a vison for them but will have to re-think it when they come to the top of my UFO pile. Grand idea to donate it. I should do more of that.

Janet O. said...

Someone will be thrilled to receive this quilt! Good of you to finish it up for donation. It can be hard to be motivated to finish something you don't love.

Robin said...

It's hard when a quilt just doesn't speak to you. I admire your desire to get it finished and on it's way. Grand Illusion wasn't a big hit with me. I loved Alletaire though. It was a good way to make a dent in my ever growing scraps of gold. I guess it's true that you can't please everybody - all the time. Bonnie does a great job keeping us all interested!!!

beaquilter said...

glad you are working on it.

Frances Meredith said...

You really pulled this one together well. This was a mystery I didn't even start!