Sunday, January 15, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching - 1 Year of Stitches

Welcome to our weekly hand stitching party!

We are already 2 weeks into the new year, and I've only started 1 new project... that's pretty good for me! How about you? How many new projects have you started in 2017?
I decided to join in on the "1 Year of Stitches" project hosted by Sara over at Brown Paper Bag. The guidelines for this project can be found here, but the essence is this... take one stitch every day for a year and see what you create. How hard could that be?!? 
I thought it would be easy for me because I do stitch everyday already, so this is just an extra project that would be used for "warm up" with my daily stitching. 


This is an intuitive piece, which means there is no pattern, no "right" or "wrong" way, and you have no idea what it will look like at the end. You just follow your intuition. 
The hardest part for some people is where/how to start. 
I thought about it over the last week of 2016 and decided to start with an embroidery pattern that I found on the Wild Olive blog.

Love has to be in the centre, right? It's at the start of all creative endeavours... you love something/someone and want to spend more time with it/them. 
Here is the disembodied thumb photo to give you a sense of the size I'm starting with for my year long project.
1 Year of Stitches - week #1
One of the suggestions with "1 Year of Stitches" is to take a photo of your stitching every day over the year. I'm not going to do that, but I do plan to take one photo each week.

These are my photos for week #1 and #2.


1 Year of Stitches - week #2
The hardest part so far is only taking a stitch (or two) each day. As you can see on the instagram feed, many people are taking a different approach to the challenge and have already created massive stitcheries! 
It's really hard to only take 1 stitch, 1 step at a time! 
I got carried away a bit in week 2 and clearly made more than 7 stitches. But I was loving the LOVE and wanted to finish the word!

Are you joining in with this creative endeavour? Do you have the ability to take one stitch each day on your project? 

We love to see all types of hand stitching, so please link up your blog post below and show us what you are working on today.

   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   

23 comments:

SandraC said...

I had thought about this one, let it go, now you have me tempted again! Would you share your Instagram name?

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I am not doing this but it reminds me of when I get bogged down or tired of a hand quilting project and I tell myself just one length of thread per day.

The Cozy Quilter said...

It will be interesting to see where this project takes you over the next year!

Sarah said...

I too am taking part in the 1 year of stitches, and am only taking a photo every Sunday. So far I've kept on track (ok so its only been two weeks)and rather than limiting myself to one stitch I limit myself to one length of thread. It's fun at the moment! I like your sentiment of LOVE. I look forward to seeing where it leads you.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

no I had not heard of this one, but I know I couldn't take one stitch I would end up working for an hour. I tried doing the one circle a day and ended up sitting and doing ten or more LOL I was finished quilting the quilt by time most were finishing their circles and getting ready to quilt - i have to work on my own time table

Cathy said...

I would not be able to take one stitch. I try to do Just One Thing (JOT) stitchy each day for at least 15 minutes. Good luck!!!

Linda M said...

I would have a very difficult time taking just one stitch, I stitch as long as I feel like it.

time4stitchn said...

Kathy, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your posts. I love your enthusiasm, honesty and inspiration. Thanks for all your links to other projects as well as your slow stitching Sunday. But right now, I don't need another project, even if it is only a stitch a day.

Kaja said...

I'm pretty sure I couldn't stick to one stitch! Good luck with this.

Deb A said...

I could not do one stitch a day.... so opted for my own personal one of 15 minutes of some sort of stitching a day this year. So far so good!

scraphappy said...

No new projects for me, but I am going to finish a lot this year. Starting with OMG

Turid said...

Nice stitcheries. Ha,ha, I make 100 hexies and then take a photo. Even then I can almost see no progress.

Teresa in Music City said...

Never! I'm such an impulsive creator - I'd have to do lots of stitches each day. Only doing 1 would absolutely kill me!!! Like you, I'd be dying to know how that Love is going to look when it's done LOL!!! Just love your take on the embroidery with the little decorative French knots :*)

Janice Holton said...

Hmm!! I might have to try this! My mom bought a cross stitch kit that she was going to sew for me but decided it was too hard on her eyes so she gave it to me to finish. This might be a way to get some progress on that thing. :)

Chantal said...

That's really not for me. I had trouble making one block a day in the 365 Challenge, I wouldn't be able to do one stitch a day either. But I can see you do that. Go Kathy! Go Kathy! Go! ;^)

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

Well, lets face it, 365 individual stitches is not going to create a huge project - I can easily see why people get carried away and do several stitches a day. I imagine the important part is to work a little every day.

Deanna W said...

What a great idea to keep you going! I will keep that in mind as I have a big hand quilting project about to start.

Deanna W said...

One stitch...is like having one chip or one chocolate or one glass of wine...it just isn't done!!!!haha What size will your project be...pillow, wallhanging...or do you even know?It is a great start though.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Your stitching challenge sounds like fun! Hmmm maybe the stitch project I started will work for it?? I'll have to go check the challenge out. Happy SUnday Kath.

Jill said...

A stitch a day for 365 days is too much of a challenge personally. Many days there are none and when I do stitch, I do not want to stop. Best wishes on your endeavor.

sophie said...

I look forward to vicariously following along with your project.

audrey said...

Such an interesting idea! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.:)

Kate said...

A very interesting challenge. I don't think I could take just one stitch a day. Looking forward to seeing how your project develops over the year.