Aurifil is my favourite thread - I buy it in every size available and use it every day. So of course I had to check out their new BOM. The January block looked like an interesting challenge with 40 components, and I was curious about it would be constructed.
Because I had been sewing with a lot of blue in January, I needed a break from blue, so went with red and white. I can say that it is the most difficult block I have ever sewn, although I'm still not sure why it took me hours to make!
The cutting directions are complex and I made several errors. A lot of time was spent staring at the computer screen, checking and double checking measurements and pieces. And still, a couple of times I had to add on pieces from strips that I had cut too short.
Then my centre pinwheel block ended up the wrong size according to the directions. I had to unsew, trim each HST by 1/4" and resew the pinwheel.
But perseverance pays off, and here is the finished block. You can see some creative versions of the block at the Flickr group here and at Pat Sloan's link up here.