Sunday, April 14, 2013

Slow Sunday Stitching

Photo by Sarah Allen
All my quilt bindings are stitched by hand - slowly inching along, thinking about the journey of the quilt I am completing, praying for the intended recipient of the quilt, and reflecting on life in general. Sure, you can easily finish a quilt in record time with quick piecing methods, and fast machine quilting (or "quilting by cheque" ie. getting someone else to quilt for you), and then finishing with a machine stitched binding. I've done all of the above when necessary, but my favorite thing is S L O W piecing, quilting, and binding. Quilting is my hobby, my sanity, and my sanctuary, so I need it to be renewing and relaxing.
Just for fun this year I have been keeping track of how many inches of binding I hand stitch each month. 
Here is the binding update...
January - 444"
February - 1,071" (a record never to be repeated!)
March - 190"
I only finished one binding in March, which was my BeAttitudes quiltand the perimeter was 190".
The grand binding total for the end of the first quarter of 2013 is 1,705"!!
Hopefully April's binding efforts will be closer to February's total than March's!!! 
This is the binding I will be stitching down today, and hoping that the relaxation benefits will help carry me through another week of a crazy busy life.
Do you keep track of your binding or slow stitching accomplishments?
Link up your hand stitching blog post below and share what you are working on this week.

20 comments:

Sheila said...

I don't keep track of my bindings but I do enjoy that process , so relaxing. Enjoy your Sunday .

Mary @ Mary Manson Quilts said...

I love the sign! Going slow is a challenge for me, but I'm working on it :). I think I'll print out the sign and put it on the wall of my studio.

Kate said...

I keep track of how much yardarge I use, but not how many feet I've bound. Not much slow down time in my schedule for a bit yet. But that's life when you work and have a teenager. Enjoy your slow stitching Sunday.

scraphappy said...

I like to have a reason to slow down. Having a bit of applique or a binding to sew by hand are both good reasons to take a deep breath and remember that not everything is about finishing first.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am going to enjoy my slow stitching today out on the terrace. Doesn't get better than that!

Deb A said...

I don't track my binding but I guess I should have with a few finishes this year so far! I do love that last part of the quilt making process - snuggling under your new creation is the best part while stitching that binding down.

sophie said...

I love stitching the binding down by hand. Often it's the time I get to spend with the quilt and enjoying that feeling of accomplishment before I give it away.

Lesley said...

Looks like you'll have a nice easy going project for today...I love to sew binding on!

Kindred Quilts said...

I enjoy sewing the binding on my projects... it's the last step to the "ahhhhhh" moments! Today will be the perfect slow time to finish up some hand applique.

Teresa in Music City said...

I just finished up the binding on my grandson's quilt by machine. And I did Easy Street by machine too. I need to slow down more often!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Great post and a great reminder that part of why we quilt is to enjoy each and every step of the process! I'm trying to remember that and slow down too! :o)

Pam said...

Wow! That's a lot of binding! I've always enjoyed stitching the binding...That was one of the clues that I needed to transition over to some quilts by hand.

Where did you get those little binding clips?

Carrie P. said...

I don't keep track of the binding I do but you sure have done a lot this year.

Stitched With Prayer said...

I agree with you completely about time to reflect, pray, and just enjoy the soothing motions of stitching. Even though I have to do my bindings on the machine due to health issue that affect my hands, I do stitchery blocks for quilts with simple stitches that my hands can manage. But I really miss the more intricate needle work and lacy crochet projects I used to do. BUT, quilting restored that sanity and therapy I felt when doing any kind of needle work. Hugs...

Ellen said...

I love sewing the binding down - so satisfying but I don't keep track.

Right now I am off to do some more hand quilting.

audrey said...

I don't keep track of my binding efforts, there are other areas I enjoy even more.:) It is an interesting idea though!

Linda said...

I totally agree with you. Yes, there are quick ways to do quilts and you can finish a quilt in a day when necessary but the whole process can be very restful and rewarding. I enjoy the process as much as the finished product. I like to stitch my bindings on by hand too. It's my favorite thing to do. I used to hate it when I first started quilting and the more quilts I made the better I got at it and my thinking turned competely around. I haven't kept track of the binding inches like you but I might just start...

Janet O. said...

It has never occurred to me to keep track of the binding inches, but sounds like a fun bit of trivia to know. : )

libbyquilter said...

i never have thought of keeping track of my binding as a measure of accomplishment but i think it's a great idea~!

thank you for hosting this fun linky.

:-)
libbyQ

Sheila said...

I think I have a picture of most every quilt that I have ever made. They are all made with a sewing machine from start to finish.
I understand what you mean about slowing down. I use my knitting for my slow stitching. It is so relaxing for me. Does that count?