There has been a box of my nephew's old shirts sitting in my cupboard for a couple of years. His Mom kept saying there were more shirts to add to the collection, so I didn't even open the box until this summer. I realized there were enough shirts for more than 1 quilt in that box already!
My goal was to finish this quilt for his birthday at the end of July, but that was not possible. I did make lots of progress on this quilt including...
*washed and deconstructed the shirts,
*bordered and/or pieced together the smaller shirts,
*ironed a fusible knit interfacing to the back of each shirt
*cut all the shirts to 13".
Apparently I didn't trim this shirt to the correct size, because it refused to lay flat. There's no way that bump would "quilt out", so I had to unstitch that block, resize, and try again.
I needed to purchase a lot of yardage for the backing, sashing, and binding, and finally found a perfect blue fabric. The next steps are to finishing piecing the sashings to the shirts, sew all the rows together, add the border, pin baste, machine quilt and bind. No one except a quilter understands how many hours of concentrated effort that list of steps will require!!
Usually I enjoy the quilting part, but my machine is acting up (the hand wheel is slipping, and the bobbin is having trouble winding) and my trusty repair man is on vacation! I will be on his doorstep on his return, and hoping that my machine is not going to need palliative care!
To see what other quilters have on their design walls this week, hop over to Patchwork Times.