Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First finish for 2010!


In addition to using up stash fabric this year (especially in pieced quilt backings - see the backing for this quilt here), I want to use up old spools of thread. When quilting a piece this large in the past, I would have gone to Triangle Sewing and picked out thread specifically matched to the project, and usually buy extra so that I would never run out.
However, this year I am going to use up spools that I already have....the year of "threadbusting"!  I used to worry about having enough thread to quilt the entire piece with the SAME colour. I'm over that now, since I have a large stash of partially used spools that need to be emptied, and since I realized that most people cannot tell that I have used 4 different shades of teal thread in this quilt!
I started with these 3 spools and quickly used them up.
Here is one of the spools dangling from the thread feeder on my sewing machine...time for another spool!
I had a great time with this quilting. Some people really dislike machine quilting, but I love it almost as much as the piecing (and sometimes more). I decided to quilt this disappearing 9 patch in straight lines, making it completely different from the pink and purple polka dot disappearing 9 patch that I made last year (click here to see it) which I quilted with wavy lines and circles.
Above is a picture of quilting straight lines across the diagonal of the blocks using my walking foot.

I also practised quilting straight lines using my free motion foot in these white diamonds. It was a lot of starting and stopping (as opposed to continuous line quilting) and it required focus and concentration, but I was happy with the results.

Here is a picture of how the blocks were quilted.


And...drum roll please...
here is my first finished quilt of 2010...
the red and aqua disappearing 9 patch!
Thanks to Jane for hosting the block swap in November and to those quilters who contributed blocks for my quilt!

26 comments:

Debby Brown said...

I've made about 20 disappearing nine-patch quilts, but I like your layout way better than mine. Mind if I steal it?

Great quilt! and good luck threadbusting!

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

I participated in the same swap so I'm sure you have some of my blocks. I haven't assembled my D9P yet but seeing yours is very inspiring. I love the use of the white connectors to tie the whole thing together. Great job!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I LOVE IT, my top is done but in no pattern, I love yours, I also used white as my border, I love your use of white makes the quilt pop!! I am a hand quilter, I wish I could machine quilt but it never seems to work, it sure worked for you. Yippee #1 of 2010!!!
Thanks for the email!! I am do hsppy to get to see the quilt also a great idea about the thread, I have soooo much green!!!

Sweet P said...

Wow! Awesome quilt!

Dresden Quilter said...

It is gorgeous Kathy. I have yet to put mine together. I really love your quilting.

Maya said...

Congratulations on your first finish! The quilt looks lovely!

SpinningStar said...

Congrats on the finish - it looks wonderful. And getting a quilt done so soon in the new year sure helps...anything is possible!

Liz

The Cozy Quilter said...

The teal and red look great together. I have a couple of D9Ps to make this year and I may do this pattern for one of them. Thanks for sharing! BTW--I received my package of charm squares yesterday. I will make the I spy quilt for the Children's aid society sometime this Spring. The squares will make a bright and cheery quilt that will make a child very happy! Thanks again!

Susan said...

Aren't finishes just the best. I will need to practise more to machine quilt as well as you do.

Rose Marie said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous quilt and I love the border effect with the white blocks!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Congratulations on your first finish! :-) It looks great! I love the layout too. ;-)

Krista said...

I love the setting you used. Looks great!

Vicki W said...

I love that red and aqua together! Great job!

Andrea said...

Oh yes - it's lovely. It looks way more complicated than an ordinary D9P.

scrappynanna said...

One down and many more to go eh! Love the idea of "thread busting" it doesn't last nearly as long as fabric. I think I will try to thread bust too and finish some UFOs this year....

sewnut said...

I love using up spools of thread.
The machine quilting looks great.

Rhonda said...

Kathy, that quilt is awesome! Your thoughts on using old threads is a great idea. I don't know why I tend to hold onto thread that is almost done....LOL....Question...what did you use to sandwich your quilt together??? 505 spray, pins, or something else???

Diana LaMarre said...

Kathy,
That is beautiful. "Thread busting" - I like that!

Did you quilt that whole thing in one day? It looks great.

FabricandFlowers said...

I love the colors. It's unique, beautiful, and fun.

Gina said...

Great quilt. I normally use variegated thread in my quilting, that way it doesn't matter if you use different thread.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

bingo~bonnie said...

Your "first finish" deserves a 1st place! Love the aqua and red together - Beautiful!!!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Erika said...

I love the setting you used. The white triangles make all the difference.

Candace said...

I love your quilt. The colors are wonderful and the setting is great. I haven't done a disappearing 9 patch, but I want to, and yours is one of my favorites. Your quilting looks awesome.

Ariane said...

It looks amazing!!! I love it.

Teaquilts said...

I like the setting on your D9P quilt. I need a few quilts for males in my family and the colors would be great. Thanks for sharing with us in blogland.

bingo~bonnie said...

no matter what pattern, aqua and red just look super fantastic together :) and make me smile! I have to add this color combo to my one day list!

I bet you feel great to have it done!!!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie