Monday, January 25, 2010

Design Wall Monday #4

It's a dark rainy Monday here...perfect quilting weather.
Unfortunately I have to get to work, but here's what is on my design wall today...a finished quilt top!
This is from Nancy's 7 shirt pattern - click here to see her instructions.
It makes a perfect lap size quilt from 7 shirts. I put the pockets from 4 of the shirts in the corners. I saved all the buttons from the shirts as Nancy suggested, and I plan to machine stitch in the ditch, and then tie the buttons in the middle of all the blocks.
While I was sewing this quilt top, my friend Louise was here for a wonderful (but too short) visit and look at this celtic knot quilt she is hand quilting. She is quilting on the middle block, so you can see that this is a king size quilt! Very inspiring to get going on my hand quilting projects!
For more inspiration, visit Judy's blog and see all the design walls.

17 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks wonderful! Such a great way to use up shirts.

Mary said...

I like the setting design you did with the simple blocks. Gotta get those shirt cut up and make my DH one of these. Too many quilts in my mind to do already...and it's still only January.

Vicki H. said...

I love this quilt and the plaids look so good together. The swedish log cabin block in an ealier post is very cool too.

Teaquilts said...

Love your new quilt top and plaids are not my favorite. I got a chance to browse a little before moving on and have enjoy your site. Look forward to my next visit.

Libby said...

What a fun quilt!

Jeanne said...

It turned out so cute! Nice work.

Vivian said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. People often say I do things backwards. Make the borders--then the quilt.

Amy said...

Wow to both of you! The shirt quilt is really cute. Your friend's work is beautiful.

Laurie said...

Finished is Good! I found 1 shirt at the thrift store today, it will soon be cut up and put in my stash. I love plaid fabric. Good job on finishing before 7 years, which is fast by my record.

Hooked on Quilting said...

I love your shirts! Seven shirts, huh??? I might just find seven that I could use! Love it!

KatieQ said...

I've been saving shirts to try making this quilt. Yours really looks great. I love the color contrast.

bingo~bonnie said...

7 shirts is all you say??? Akk! then that means from my collecting shirts from the Goodwill, then I could cover a small town with quilts then - if I ever got busy making them! I have more shirts in rubbermaid totes than I can count!

Yours turned out very cute! Love the pattern ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Margeeth said...

I guess your friend won't get cold.

scrappynanna said...

I love it! It is hard to believe that it is made from shirts.ALMOST... makes me want to do one.I said almost!!!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Love you quilt, Kathy! Very pretty - and your friends quilt is pretty, too!

Mary Johnson said...

Didn't you just start this recently? It looks great and I love buttons on quilts!

Rose Marie said...

Wonderful .... I've been collecting thrift shirts and will have to do this pattern one day!