Monday, October 06, 2008

2 finishes!

I am pleased to report that I was able to meet my goal of finishing 2 quilts before the weekend. I just couldn't post this good news on my blog because my lovely son cut the phone line while cutting the grass! Of course it took a lot of investigation, a few phone calls to India (since that is where the Bell Canada employees are located!?!) and finally a service call this morning to determine the cause of the lack of phone and computer access...ugh! I am delighted to be back on the computer (the phone I could happily do without)!!
Here is my finished Kwik Scrappy Star (pattern by Two Kwik Quilters) and I am really pleased with how it turned out...and proud that I was able to finish it in record time! I bought the kit in May, sewed the blocks and top in July, then basted and quilted in September! I am also very happy that the quilt hangs flat against the wall.
Here are a couple of close up shots of the block quilting ...a light star and a dark star. The quilt will hang in my husband's office, and I found a really neat thing to hang above it. I'll show
you a picture of it when it is installed in it's new home.
And my second finish was one of my 6o degree series. You can see the first one here. I still have 2 more in a "semi sewn" state, and maybe yet another one to come since I just got another idea of a different layout...it never ends!!
I call this "60 degree series -Hexagonal Whirlygig." I quilted all the seam lines...boring stitch in the ditch, horizontal and diagonals, and then just echo quilted in the border. Here is a close up of the border quilting.
Not very exciting, but FINISHED!!
And on to the mystery quilt....

11 comments:

Bonnie said...

Love the star quilt! I'll have to go look at the Two Kwik Quilters site. Don't you just love working with utilities!
Bonnie

Gina said...

I love the quilting on both quilts. It doesn't have to be exciting to be effective.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Brenda said...

They are darling! That is too funny about the computer line and lawn mowing!

swooze said...

Congrats on the finishes. I like both but the stars is my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Especially love the star quilt. This is really going to make your husband's office look warm and inviting.

Sweet P said...

I love the star quilt! Fantastic job on it.

Libby said...

*yippee* Love the finishes. Those stars really look like a lot of fun . . . and my favorite colors *s*
And, of course, you know I'm a big fan of the 60 degree quilts. I really want to start another. Gotta get a couple other things off my plate first.

Candace said...

Love your quilts, especially the Kwik Scrappy Stars. I may have to buy that pattern, I love it. It's funny my husband has been working today and yesterday working on my daughter's phone system. Her son cut her phone line the other day when he was weedwhacking. That just took a little while to fix, but she also wanted the line in another room, and that has been a problem. He is an old 'telephone man'. He's not all that healthy, but luckily he has her sons and her boyfriend to do the heavier work.

Dionne said...

Wow! I'm going to have to start calling you 'speedy gonzales' (Just Kidding) from that old cartoon character.

Seriously though, your quilts are awesome!

Cheers!
Dionne

Rose Marie said...

That is an awesome star quilt! Love the colours and design.

Jenny said...

Always great to have a finish, or two, in your case! Love the star quilt, how nice it will be hanging in your husband's office. The whirligig colours are so pretty.