Saturday, May 28, 2016

Rainbow Challenge and Quilt Auction

It is green month over at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, which is a perfect colour to work with in the spring. 
I am cutting and sewing my green Mad City block and there are green scraps spread all over the place. I was hoping it would be finished by today, but it has been too hot to sew this week. I must get the AC unit put in the window to make it bearable to sew in there from now until September. To see more green scrap projects, hop over to the scrappy link up.


As has been my tradition for many years, today I attended the Mennonite Relief Committee's Quilt AuctionIt's their 50th year trying to raise money to help those suffering from poverty, conflict, oppression and natural disasters. I have always appreciated that 100% of the proceeds of this fundraiser go directly to their work. Many people work together to raise the money by making and donating amazing quilts, food, plants and by sponsoring other activities of the day. You can read more about the quilt auction here. I didn't have a quilt in this year's auction since my sewing group didn't get it finished before the submission deadline, but it will be in next year's for sure! 
But here's an auction quilt that I know the rainbow scrap challenge quilters will like. It's called The Crayon Quilt, designed by Emily Herrick of Crazy Old Ladies (pattern can be purchased here). It was made by a group of scrap quilters called "The Caring Connection" and was sold for $500! It would be such a fun Rainbow Scrap project quilt.

9 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that it's been too hot to sew! So... you told us about the auction, but you didn't tell us if you took home a quilt. Did you??

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

In my part of the country, the furnace is still coming on in the mornings! We are so ready for summer temperatures! You're right, that crayon quilt is right up the RSC alley. Love it!

PaulaB quilts said...

You are so lucky to get to that famous auction and to contribute. The crayon quilt should. Ring a good sum. How wide are those Mad City strips? I went to your link to see the orange block, such fun. I did not know about the trillium changing color, although I've seen both and love them.

Mary said...

Too hot to sew? Lol. I like the crayons. A breeze box fan might be quicker to cool you off.

LA Paylor said...

oh how nice

scraphappy said...

That crayon quilt is going on my list. Such fun!

Sophie Zaugg said...

Interesting to read about the quilt auction ! I have never heard about this kind of event here in Switzerland. Seems to be a lot of fun ! I don't like the heat especially when it keeps me from sewing ;-)

Nell's Quilts said...

I've seen the crayon quilt in a magazine and had the exact thought. Someday.

Kate said...

The air conditioning came on here last week, it was too hot to sew upstairs without it. Sounds like the auction did well.