Sunday, January 04, 2015

2015 Slow Sunday Stitching

It's the first 2015 Sunday link up for all you slow stitchers out there. If you are anything like me (exhausted from holiday celebrations) I bet you are ready for some relaxation and stitching enjoyment. 
I am starting off the new year trying to finish the quilt I didn't get done by the end of last year. Christmas totally derailed my progress on quilting the border, and I am now ready to get back at it. I finally decided on a design with 3 diamonds in each border section. I went totally "old school" with the tools and am just using cardboard templates (which I cut to the size I wanted) to make the diamond shapes.
I have started marking the quilting lines, which is always easier to do before the quilt has been pin basted. But since I can never decide on my design until it is time to actually quilt the border, I am used to "marking as I go". My marks are made with my white Bohin chalk pencil so that I can clearly see the quilting lines, since I will be quilting with red thread on red fabric and it will be hard enough on my poor old eyes! The chalk soon needed to be refilled (which you can see in more detail on this post) and enough of the design was marked so that I can get going on some quilting today.

Can you see in this photo that I will run 5 needles at the same time so that I don't have to reposition the hoop to go back and forth?
Two needles are for the inside and outside lines, two needles are for the inside diamonds, and one needle will run along the edge with a large basting stitch to hold the layers together and make it easier to put the binding on at the end. It's fun to do the quilting this way - if the threads don't get tangled together. I will make my way around the outside of the quilt only once to complete the border quilting design.

What are you stitching to start off 2015? You are most welcome to link up your blog post below for any hand stitching project you are working on today.




25 comments:

Mary Marcotte said...

Since I don't often hand (now that I have a long-arm) I won't post anything. I just had to tell you how impressed I am that you are able to handle 5 needles, though. I've tried two needles and was overwhelmed with the tangles! I can't imagine five! This quilt is beautiful. I'll be back to visit so I can see your progress and check out other slow stitchers' work.

Kaja said...

I have been leaving threads but moving the needle from one to the other - I'd never thought of using more needles!

Jo said...

I managed a few needles when I was cross arching my sister in laws quilt. It worked well

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Enjoy stitching on this lovely project today! :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I can't wait to see that quilt finished - it's gorgeous! I always end up marking as I go as I can never quite get a quilting pattern together before I pick up needle and thread ... maybe because I'm too anxious to get to the fun part, the hand quilting. I wish I could sew with more needles at a time, but I always seem to get the thread tangled or caught in my hoop as I move it. ;-)

Created by Kathi said...

Kathy, thanks or continuing to do your linky... I look forward to see all the slow stitching going on and share what I have been up to as well. I love quilting with "old school" tools as well.. seems more appropriate to me ;) Loving this project you are working on.. Have a great Sunday! Kathi

Denise :) said...

Yay for a new year of slow stitching and linky parties! Your ability to work with multiple needles is amazing. I've never even though of it, much less feel qualified to try it!! I *do* mark as I go, for much the same reason . . . I very much quilt by the seat of my pants. My quilts really have to talk to me to tell me how to quilt them, and sometimes they wait until the last minute. LOL! :)

Deb A said...

So happy you are doing this linky again this year. I'll have to remember and try multiple needles when I get to my border..... hopefully in a couple of months? Poor Hugs and Kisses has been neglected since mid December. I think he needs some attention today.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy quilting to you today! No sewing for me today....I am hoping to get back at it next week. We need another sewing day....

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I usually mark as I go

Jeanna said...

I am envious of your hand quilting skills Kathy. I am most impressed with 5 needles!

I am embroidering some quilt blocks today and will link up once I have some progress to share. And may I borrow your button?

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love having the whole quilt marked before I start but most times I get to excited about starting the stitches! Multiple needles really do help. When I am doing crosshatching I often cut the thread twice as long and only pull thru half of the thread quilt in one direction and then end when I run out of thread. Then I rethread the needle using the other end and go the opposite direction. Works really great with my larger hoop as I am only quilting from the middle out and not having to reach all the way across. Happy stitching!

the girlfriend gap said...

Hello Kathy, I found your blog sometime early Dec. So encouraged by your slow stitching Sundays. I hope to join in each Sunday. I have some projects that I have been having trouble getting into motion. Some camaraderie will be great encouragement. Wow on your 5 needle technique. Sounds tricky to me. Janita

Barbara said...

That's an interesting technique. I've only hand quilted one small quilt. I enjoyed it, but embroidery is my first love. I just need more hours in my day so I can have time to hand quilt AND embroider. Is that too much to ask?

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Clever quilting technique! Knowing me, I would end up with missing needles and a tangle of threads--lol!

Cathy said...

I get the thread tangled only using one needle!

Ellen said...

You are so clever and so talented! I have been quilting my Seven Sisters quilts with Baptist Fans and because it is an all-over design I try to have the whole quilt top marked before I start.

Rose said...

Kathy, I just love Slow Sunday Stitching and hope to participate this year. I have a lot of stitching to catch up on so maybe I should try the multiple needle method.

Every Stitch said...

Great to see how you approach the hand quilting - sounds like a good time saving tip to try there! Look forward to seeing it finished :)

CathieJ said...

Enjoy your quilting. It seems that my stitching is going to be shortening pants. There are 5 pairs queued up for me and my relatives.

Nancy said...

I'm fairly new to hand quilting.... Thanks for showing how you use more than one needle. That's very helpful information to me and I think I will try it.

Jennie in GA said...

Lovely hand quilting. I tried to link, but don't see it yet. When I went back to try again it said that I was already linked. I am new at this, so please forgive my ineptness.....and thanks for the inspiration.

Janet O. said...

Wow--5 needles. Don't think I've ever done more than 2 or 3 at the most!
I laughed about the marking as you go. That is so my style. Can't decide how I want to quilt something, but I want to get it basted.
I realize I posted some hand stitching in my most recent post, but it would break my New Year's resolution if I linked up, so I'll have to pass and go eat some dark chocolate! : )

Jennie in GA said...

Oops, my link finally posted....twice:-((. Sorry, hopefully I will do better next time.

Vivian said...

Discovered this on Sharon's bog (Vrooman's Quilts) and am looking forward to scheduling a little hand work time this year. Thanks for hosting this!