Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Crumb Along

I can't believe I have started another quilting project!  But in my own defense, I am almost finished my 36 patch blocks, and with this new project I will be using up more stash (really small bits) so it's almost a given that I HAVE to make this project...how's that for rationalization!?!
I have started a Crumb Quilt with Jo's instructions. The first blocks are crumby flying geese blocks.

My first one was too dark, but I liked the look of 6 small flying geese in one block.






The second block, again using 6 flying geese (the top one might be trimmed off).


I think it's too light.



This is sounding like "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"!


My third block (using 4 flying geese) was JUST RIGHT!


Crumb Along Project Specs:
Fabrics: all batiks from my scrap boxes/bags/bins
Colours: Any - whatever I feel like working on at the moment.
Block size: not sure of what the trimmed size will be (because I can't find my 6 1/2" ruler)  but it will be approximately that size.
I thought I would make the blocks using Bonnie's leader/ender technique, but it's just too messy on my work surface and I can't stand it! So, I will set aside some time each week to work on the blocks and get another, more orderly leader/ender project to work on.
These are my extra flying geese blocks to use in a future step.
Thanks to Jo for the fun project inspiration, and great instructions! If you want to see other quilter's beginning crumb quilts, click here. 

22 comments:

Debbie said...

Seeing your batik version makes me think about starting a Crumb Along.

swooze said...

I think they all look great. As my father in law would say....you are nor a pushover but you do have round heels....lol!

Coloradolady said...

Oh My Goodness....this one is going to be gorgeous!! I don't have a lot of batik scraps. I just started buying a few, but have not cut into the yardage yet! I love each and everyone of yours...the brown is really pretty!! Looks like chocolate!!! Can not wait to see your progress on this one....it will be so neat!

Judy D in AZ said...

Thanks for the idea of multiple geese-very interesting.

Janet O. said...

Tried doing a few crumb blocks in a class and didn't get the hang of it (I'm a remedial student). But if anything could tempt me to try again, it would be these batik blocks. They are beautiful, with great contrast and color! Do anything in batiks and I think it takes it up a notch!

*karendianne. said...

This looks like you're having a lot of fun and I have to say - these fabrics are beautiful which makes the blocks gorgeous. Fantastic post!!!

Julie in the Barn said...

I'm crumbing along with you, Kathy. Mine aren't nearly as pretty, though.

Kristi said...

love them

scraphappy said...

What a nice way to unify your quilt by using all batiks. Starting a new project shouldn't count against you if it is using up scraps. I'm almost sure that is in the rules somewhere.

Jo said...

They look WONDERFUL. I love your batiks. I don't have a single piece in my house! Not many shops handle them around here.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a great look with batiks, even the ones too dark and too light will finds their way !
Katell, France

Béa said...

I love all your blocks !Beautiful.

Deb A said...

Those look great! I'm sure they will all find a way into the quilt and it will be beautiful with all those batiks!

Neabear said...

Your blocks are looking great! And I love your blocks for your scrappy ticker tape quilt. Looks like you have plenty of projects on your plate. LOL!

~Linnea

Angie in SoCal said...

This is going to be a stunning quilt!.

AnnieO said...

You have some very advanced quilter's rationalization skills, Kathy :) These are beautiful and will make a fascinating bunch of blocks!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Too serious a quilter - love all the crumb geese blocks! I just love your banner by the way.

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Going to be something I will be waiting to see how it turns out

Quiltdivajulie said...

What fun ... when I finish with Alpha-Palooza, I may use the leftover bits and start making mini-flying geese . . .

Michele, a distracted quilter said...

Great geese and fun colours too!

antique quilter said...

I have always wanted to make a crumb quilt too
Patti from washington had a great tutorial for this style quilt too...
http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blogspot.com/
I have a big scrap basket may have to give this a try!
Kathie

Jean said...

I saw this on another blog, looks like so much fun!