Friday, August 19, 2011

Ticker Tape/Raw Edge Applique Quilt

I loved the ticker tape quilt that I first saw on Crazy Mom's quilt blog 2 years ago and wanted to try this technique. Then I saw this tutorial on Sew Mama Sew and knew I would definitely make at least one of these quilts because I have a few scraps!
When we were at Keepsake Quilting in June, I helped my friend Susan pick out fabric for a Bottled Rainbow quilt... just look at the 16 bolts of pretty Kona Cottons that we picked out (on the floor)! Can't wait to see how her ticker tape/bottled rainbow quilt develops! 
All of this has sparked my interest again in tackling my own ticker tape project. 
But I didn't want to use a walking foot and keep turning the block to sew each side of each scrap. So I decided to use my free motion foot, drop the feed dogs and stitch around each scrap...and it worked great! 
I am using up the scraps from my Indian Orange Peel blocks (DON'T even ask about that project!). I am going to make as many blocks as I can, until I run out of these scraps. I can't even count the number of times this has happened to me...that I have been distracted by a project's scraps, only to finish the scrap project... while the original quilt is a UFO! Am I crazy?!?

15 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Ok because I am a rebel at heart, I will ask........have you tried sewing that Orange Peel quilt together again yet?? Here is an idea. Satin stitch applique the arcs to the center squares, they will lay flat that way, and then you straight stitch the blocks together and tada......it will be finished!

Wonky Girl said...

You said- Am I Crazy?
Only if all us other quilters are crazy too. Have to admit I've done the same as far as getting into scraps during a project. Scrap quilts are mostly my fav besides novelty quilts. BTW- the Orange Peel blocks are looking awesome.

Andrea said...

Sounds completely normal to me Kathy - just how I work too :-). You know we all want to know about the Orange Peel quilt now ? Go on - spill the beans - lol xxx

Barb said...

I find that I don't have as much control with the free motion foot to make straight lines, I can loop the devil out of it but a straight line...forget it. I will have to check out this quilt.

Janet O. said...

Should we just 'fess up and repeat in unison, "All quilters are crazy!" ?

Amy said...

LOL at your post AND the comments already listed here! It seems to be a quilter's DESTINY to do as you do/did. We've all been-there/done-that, and I'm sure we'll all find ourselves there again in the future.

BUT....thanks for sharing the idea of using a FM foot! THAT looks like a FUN FUN FUN idea.

Darn...Darn....Darn......MUST resist right now, though! I have SOOOOOOO many other projects that I REALLY want (need?) to finish off first!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I remember seeing ticker tape for the first time too, on Crazy Mom Quilts, and loving it! I can't wait to see your version. :) How fun!!!

Brenda Kay said...

I remember seeing a few ticker tape quilts myself and thinking that looks like fun. I have started a collection of fun kid prints to use one day, if and when I catch up on all the projects already in the works. Look forward to seeing how yours comes out.

Mary said...

That looks fun, but alas, my plate is too full of UFO and Projects yelling at me. There's a reason I call myself Crazy Mary!

Kate said...

The Ticker Tape project looks great. Does it matter which projects your finish as long as you are finishing projects? I'm trying to tell myself that!

Happy Quilter said...

Look at the number of quilts you have ticked off your list! Congrats all around. It's been a great summer of sewing. Love the little squares quilts.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great idea to freemotion around the scraps! Noooooo I don't need another project :)

Gari in AL said...

So if I read you right, you are stitching the scraps onto blocks and then you will join the blocks to make a "traditional top"? I think I could do something like that and it would certainly get rid of a lot of those pesky scraps that just keep building up. Thanks for the idea.

Marla said...

OMGOODNESS! This has been on my mind ever since I saw it too! I have some special little ones in my life and thought it would be big fun for them to lay out scraps, I sew and then they would "make a quilt!"

Jean said...

I do that too, especially if the scraps are cut shapes. I love this idea, and want to try it.