Sunday, August 28, 2011

August UFO Update

August's UFO for Judy's challenge was #7. After I got the border on my #7, I was stumped by the quilting design. So I put it back in the closet and took out another UFO which was yelling very loudly to be finished! 
In May, UFO #9  was finished to the quilt top stage and I decided that this would be my August UFO finish (while the quilting ideas for #7 percolate...actually I have an idea now, just need some confidence).
At the end of May I was trying to decide if the border was too wide. Louisa sent me an EQ photo of my quilt with a narrower border and a purple outside border, which convinced me I had to cut the border size from 6" to 4" (Thanks for the help Louisa!)
It is trimmed and pin basted, and I can honestly say that this is the lumpiest, bumpiest quilt I have ever attempted to quilt! It does not lie flat at all!  Can you tell from the photo?!? YIKES! This quilt has been a challenge from beginning to end!
Well, I only have a couple more days until the end of the month so I am forcing myself to start quilting ...circle designs using the variegated thread in the scrappy blocks (free motion) and something in the muslin star blocks...don't know what yet!
I purchased this backing fabric in the sale room at Quilted Threads in June...I knew it would be the perfect backing for this quilt! These are the threads I'm using, with the beige for the bobbin thread.  Wish me luck!!

12 comments:

Cathy said...

Your spider webs are wonderful. And I'm sure the "bumps" will lay down and behave once it is quilted and washed, and made ready for lots of cold weather snuggle unders.

Diane said...

Good luck! I'm sure your quilting will tame the bumps-very hard to avoid them on that kind of quilt. Look forward to seeing progress or even finish pictures!

Judy D in WA said...

I love this quilt and this design has been on my string list for a while now. Maybe I should start it. :)

I can't wait to see how you quilt it.
Love the backing fabric.

Kristi said...

love it....can't wait to see it all quilted. Very cute background fabric!!

scraphappy said...

Perfect background fabric. I can see why this one might be a bit bumpy, but hopefully it will all quilt out in the end. Hope all goes well, the end of the month is near!

Ivani said...

Wonderful Spider web quilt. I love scrap and string quilts. The background fabric is just perfect. You did a great choice on the threads. I'll be looking forward to see it quilted and done.
Hugs from Brazil

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You can do it!!! I have faith!!! and good job - cuz I can't remember where I put my UFO 7!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I LOVE your quilt! So beautiful.

Dresden Quilter said...

It looks great and I love the backing you chose. This is another quilt I have been wanting to make.

Ellen said...

I was looking at your UFO list and you have already crossed off so many. This one is another one that will finish up beautifully! Love your fabric selection for the backing.

Janet O. said...

I have always wanted to make one of these quilts. It is one of the first photo/pattern rip-outs from a magazine that I saved a couple of decades ago. Still haven't managed to get around to it. Yours looks wonderful. Good luck with the quilting!

Brita said...

I'm eager to hear how the quilting goes on the string quilt! I have one in line to be quilted, and I'm worried about all those seams. It's gorgeous!