Saturday, March 19, 2011

Indian Orange Peel Class

Today was the second/final class for the Indian Orange Peel quilt. I sewed my little fingers to the bone this week and was able to finish all the homework just in time. This is what 120 finished arcs looks like!


Here they are in their 2 groups - warm colour teeth on cool backgrounds on the left and cool colour teeth on warm backgrounds on the right.


These are the centre 4 patch blocks that I sewed...we need 25 for the layout, and I sewed 34 because I wasn't sure of my colours.




Here is the teacher Heather Stewart helping me with laying out the blocks. Laying out a quilt is a funny thing...some people love it and savour it and take a long time, and other people want someone else to do it, and they want it done fast so they can get it sewn together.
There were so many thing to think about with laying out this quilt, that it really helped to have several people assisting with the initial efforts.
Here is my layout at the moment...

Looking at it on the computer screen I can see things that I need to change right away! I will hang it up on my design wall at home and work on it for a while and see how it percolates. During the class we sewed one block and it was very challenging. I didn't take a photo because it was very... how shall I say... "bowl like"!!
I'll try again another day when I am feeling more patient, and hope that my second block lays a little flatter!

24 comments:

Susan said...

I have enjoyed watching this quilt in the making. It is so good to see it so close to completion.......

Mary Johnson said...

Love those blocks...good luck getting it all sewn together. I love photos for showing me where I need to make adjustments in my layout but I don't spend too much time doing it.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looking good Kathy! I will send you some more pictures by email. I have some pictures up on my blog now too!

Unknown said...

I am so impressed that you were able to complete all of your homework before the class, and have extra blocks too! I find that I am always happier with my construction results when my machine is at home in it's cabinet. It is so difficult to sew when your machine is on top of a banquet table and you are sitting in one of those metal chairs . . . .

Kate said...

Love how your colors work together. I hope it's easier to assemble the blocks at home. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt.

AnnieO said...

Congrats on getting all your homework done! Laying out is a special time. If there is a family member I'm making a quilt for, I like for them to play switcheroo with me :)

Brenda Kay said...

I have so enjoyed watching your progess on this quilt. It is going to be great. I tend to hang things on the design wall for several days and move them around a few times before I am content with a layout. Good luck getting it just the way you want it.

Marla said...

Oh my goodness thisis going to be fab!!!!!!!

Plum Cox said...

I love reading about your progress on this quilt - well done for getting your 'homework' done in time!
Hope you get the blocks flat enough to satisfy you - I'm sure that you will. Good luck with taking it down to the finish line!

Jean said...

these are awesome! do you have to cut the 4patch in a curve so that you can sew the curves to them? Looks like a ton of work, but very beautiful!

Ellen said...

These quilts are going to be knockouts when completed!

Greenmare said...

oh my gosh this is so GORGEOUS!!!!!! I am totally blown away! tell me you are keeping this for your little self!

Cheryl said...

Wow Kathy -- It looks amazing!!!You must be so proud that you met your deadline and got all your peels done for class. Have fun playing with the layout -- thanks for your note on my blog -- I've got some more pics up - Zulu crafts.

LuAnn said...

What a striking quilt, Kathy. I just love the bright colors.

Karen said...

Those points are looking good!

Diana LaMarre said...

wow, Kathy, that is going to be a beautiful quilt. I would love to take a class like that. I made an arc last year from an Internet pattern, but just could not figure out how to go further, so I threw it away. I regret that.

Heather said...

oh wow. That is looking wonderful. I am looking forward to your next update.

Anonymous said...

This is stunning! Gosh...perfect points!!

KathyB said...

Your Indian Orange Peel Quilt will be amazing when it's finished! I'm amazed at it now. I love your quilts. Stop by to meet me. http://kbartdesigns.com/

Thelma said...

What an undertaking, your pieces are fabulous! Good luck with that next block, you have so much invested in this project, I hope you are pleased with the final assembly.

Jeanne said...

Great blocks, Kathy! This will be a terrific quilt.

Amy said...

Those
are
bright!

;0)

Quilt Rat said...

AWESOME!!!! I am smiling though cause I know how that "leave it on the design wall"thing works......you stop to move one or two and an hour later you are still shuffling...Have fun!

Helen in the UK said...

WOW this is looking AMAZING!! Definately one to leave on the design wall for a while and ponder over until you're absolutely sure on the layout. There are so many pieces to play with ... enjoy :)