Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blocks sewn together

I got sidetracked this week with my Carnival blocks.  There is no rhyme or reason to what I will work on when I have a block of time for quilting. I should be machine quilting this quilt since I wanted it to be finished for the first UFO meeting in September, but it's still too hot to work under a quilt most of the time. Or I could finish piecing the myriad of UFO's I have in various states of unfinishedness. But nope!
The Carnival project was calling to me and I put up the pieces on the design wall thinking that when I got the pieces up there I would spend a lot of time rearranging them until I was happy with the layout.
But I got into some kind of weird piecing trance, listening to my "Wicked" soundtrack (my favorite song is "For Good") and I started sewing, and somehow I finished sewing the whole thing!
I was aware of trying to balance out the red and the dark green, but other than that, I just sewed random pieces together. I am happy with how it turned out and am amazed at how quickly it came together, especially since it was all curved piecing. Now I need to think if I want to add borders from my stash (the kit didn't come with any fabric for borders).

7 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love how parts of this quilt look like spider's webs and other parts look like flowers. Curved piecing is on my list of things to master...maybe a lesson is in order!

Quilt Rat said...

VERY cool!!!! I just love all the secondary designs that appear.
and hey, when the curved piecing is going along smoothly why interrupt it!

Diane said...

that is wonderful!-love the movement. I checked out the top you "should" be quilting---I remember that one-luv it!

Mary said...

very bright colors... this was a kit? I like listening to the songs from Wicked, but have never seen it.

scraphappy said...

Isn't it great when you start sewing and before you know it, you have a quilt top? The carnival blocks look great. I hope you have just the right border fabric in your stash.

Gina said...

I love that top. Best of luck finding some thing to border it with.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Candace said...

Wow, it's gorgeous. I love the colors.