Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stay At Home Robin

The wonderful world of quilt blogs can be a dangerous place sometimes. It's like a mine field of creative diversions...so many inspirations and never enough time to see everything or make everything that you truly love. Sometimes I am able to stay strong and resist jumping into a fun project with other quilt bloggers. I could make a long list of the projects and quilt-a-longs I have resisted and have watched enthusiastically while other quilters are having all the fun... I tell myself I must be content with vicariously enjoying these projects until my cupboards, drawers, cabinets and cupboards are empty of UFO's.
But not this time! This idea wouldn't leave me alone and it doesn't require much  time each month...and so I begin a new project - the "Stay At Home Robin" hosted by Kate. You can read all the details about the project on this blog post.
I had two ideas for starting themes, but I decided to go with these fabrics (sunny batik FQ's with black & white charm squares) and I'm going to make circle blocks.
I might call it "Sunny Sircles"!
I have been collecting circle making ideas and tools for a while so this will be my chance to start playing with them.  Here is the  "Cut-a-Round" ruler that I wanted to use to make my first block.
It was a disaster.

I was fighting with the fabrics and swearing and grunting...it was not a pretty sight!
A quilter at her worst!
Just look at this wavy thing that has been pressed and steamed and yelled at...it's pathetic!

So I tried again and again...this ruler was not going to get the better of me! I checked for any online resources...couldn't find anything that was helpful.
I finally got a block to come out fairly flat.
There it is...my starting block for the SAHR!
I think I might call it "Stupid Sircles"!

12 comments:

Cyndi loves to stitch said...

I know it's not the look you were tring to achieve but I kind of like the first one. I think you should stuff them as full as you can. Then quilt around the circles to make them as 3-d as possible and call it "Go ahead, push my buttons. I dare ya!"

I have that same ruler.........it's still unwrapped!!

Toni said...

Lots of little pins work for me. Your SAHR is going to be pretty!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Check out my current post...the answer to easy flat circles is there! (PDF link and all)

I have 2 of those circle rulers and I have yet to make them work either.

Love the idea of bright circles though... Circles have been cropping up and several blogs...hmm might be the new trend to replace hexys :o)

Gina said...

Best of luck. I love curved piecing but prefer to do it by hand rather than machine as it's less stressful.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

scraphappy said...

Check out this link for piecing circles, I've had great luck with it.

http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/pieced-curves-so-simple/index.html

Amy said...

Omgoodness girl! I commend you!!!! After attempting it once with your difficulties, I probably would have ignored the directions and would have appliqued it to the backing, saying...."Take THAT you stupid circle ruler!"... ;0)

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh, that made me laugh, "Stupid Circles". I can so relate. Good for you for hanging in there and getting one done!

Laurie said...

good luck; I appliqued the circles I did. Much easier.

Helen in the UK said...

LOVE the fabrics you're using :)

Plum Cox said...

Not stupid, but beautiful - what lovely cheerful fabrics!

julieQ said...

Oh what pretty fabrics you have chosen!!!

The Calico Cat said...

Love the black & whites & oranges!