Sunday, April 14, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party!  Take a few moments to set aside your machines, your devices and screens, and just take a deep breath... ahhh... so much better. Now pick up your needles and fibres, and put a few stitches into your project. You will feel better in no time!

I have a finish to share today, which is always very exciting! This is the "
Life In Full Bloom" mystery from the Fat Quarter Shop. The mystery started May 2023 and is stitched 2 over 2 on 28 count Lugana. The design measures 6.5" square and it is in a Wood Side frame (which interestingly sometimes looks blue and sometimes looks green).


This is the first time that I framed a cross stitch piece myself and I was pleased with how it turned out. Next time I will use a thinner foam core board which will allow me to put a piece of thin batting behind the stitchery. I didn't put the glass in - do you think I will regret that choice?


This was such a fun project for me. It was my first mystery cross stitch, and although I was not able to keep up with the steps as they were posted, I enjoyed learning about what I enjoy to stitch (flowers!) and what I do not enjoy (large blocks of same colour thread to fill it!)
 
Progress continues on my version of Modern Folk Embroidery's "Light a Single Candle". I am stitching it 1 strand over 1 square with a variegated floss on 25 count Lugana, which is very tiny and delicate.  It is hard on my eyes, and I use my cheater glasses, and my magnifier, but I LOVE it so much! 

I am very excited to be attending Stitch North next weekend in Markham, Ontario. Is anyone else out there in blog land attending this event? 
It promises to be a hand stitching extravaganza and I can't wait for all of the inspiration that awaits! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

Sarah said...

That's a lovely finish! I'm with you on stitching the colour blocks but it does look so nice. Enjoy your stitching today

The Cozy Quilter said...

You always have beautiful handwork projects to show each week. The variegated thread is perfect for your current project. I would need magnifiers for that scale as well! Enjoy your Stitch North retreat!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

"Life in Full Bloom" turned out beautifully, Kathy! It looks great in the frame. I haven't tried framing a cross-stitch piece yet, but you're inspiring me to do it! Enjoy your stitching today!

Chantal said...

You have a gorgeous finish to show today. I love it. I've never heard of a cross-stitch mystery. You also did a perfect job on the framing too. It is perfectly centred like a pro. Love the colour used for your newest project. Can't wait to see this one grow. I hope you will take plenty of pictures next weekend. Ottawa is a little too far from Markham for me to go. Enjoy your stitching day. ;^)

Auntie Em said...

What a lovely finish! Nicely framed, too. I find it hard to stitch on anything small than 14 count, so I can understand how hard it must be to concentrate on 25 count for very long. Worth it in the end, I'm sure.

Angela said...

Enjoy the retreat!

CathieJ said...

Life in Bloom is beautiful. I love the frame that you used. I have only framed one piece myself. I didn't use the glass either. I think it will be fine. I like the variegated cross-stitch too. One over one on 28 count is hard to see. I would use my cheaters also. Enjoy Stitch North. I have never heard of it.

LA Paylor said...

How I'd love to go to the hand stitching extravaganza too!!! Love your thread colors
LeeAnna

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love that Life in Bloom and how clever to frame it yourself. I think it looks great. Have fun at the retreat!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful finish, and great framing job! Have a great time at the retreat!

grammajudyb said...

Just a quick visit today! Not a thing new in the hand stitching chapter of my life. I should have a finish by next week though! 🤞My stitching lately is slow. It’s supposed to be I guess, but no finishing makes me a tad anxious! I think your framed is fantastic. I never have glass put on mine. There is archival glass I think, and I’m not sure of the “whys”, but I wouldn’t use it unless I’d spent years on the stitching. So many pretty things to stitch!

Erica said...

Your framing came out beautifully! I always find the framing so difficult!