Friday, April 22, 2022

On Being a Judge

After reading all the interesting comments on my experience at judging school, I have been reflecting on why it is important to me to maintain my judging credentials. Here is what I came up with:

1) Building Community:

Events that build community and focus on creativity are rare. 

It is invaluable to have an opportunity to create a positive event that brings people out of their isolated lives to interact, to view great beauty, and to have fun! Community fairs and quilt exhibits demonstrate that the world is full of beautiful worthwhile pursuits that enhance meaning in life. I want to support that! I started entering quilts so there would be a full display and the love of quilts could be shared with folks of all ages. 

2) Quality:

Once I was entering quilts I realized that many judges were way behind the times (that was before the certification process was in place). As was mentioned in the comments, some judging is poor quality, based only on personal preference, and lacking in awareness and training. I wanted to bring my 25+ years of experience to the conversation to help increase the quality.

3) Positivity:

Some of the comments I have had on my quilts have been caustic and just plain incorrect. I don't want other quilters to experience the discouragement that leads to not putting their work out there for others to be inspired by. An important topic at judging school is how to provide feedback so that the overall experience is encouraging, and people will continue to participate in the process. Otherwise we will eventually have no quilt exhibits for communities to enjoy.

4) Fun:

Being a judge means you get to be up close to all the treasures that are entered. I have the privilege of seeing a wide variety of techniques and it's always a feast for my eyes and my heart! Just look at these vintage hand stitched pillowcases!

I'm working on my photography and quilt entries for this year's fairs, and filling my calendar with judging gigs. It's going to be wonderful to see all the projects that have been created over the covid years!

10 comments:

Lyndsey said...

A good judge is invaluable. I haven't entered anything in a exhibition or fair but I've read some of the comments judges have made. It makes so much difference to the person to receive helpful and encouraging feedback. I use the same technique when marking student's essays. I want them to succeed in their careers not to be left despondent.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Agree with all your points! Having a creative community is important for us to grow and learn. I'm sure I would not be the only one to know more about your availability for judging, and your schedule. You might consider adding a page to your blog for those looking for a judge to have some basic information - where you are based, how far you will travel to judge, fees, and so on.

Chantal said...

My gosh! How can you have 25+ years of experience in quilt making and look like that? Did you start when you were 5? It's a very lovely selfie. Kudos to you for keeping your certification up to date. You are doing it for all the right reasons in my book. Enjoy! ;^)

Deanna W said...

I agree the judging criteria is far behind. I put a two coloured binding on a quilt and the judge wasn't sure what I had done and I lost a placing because of it. I was a helper nearby so got to hear the comments.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You look beautiful! Judging school agrees with you!
As someone attempting to quilt and loving it, but never will enter a competition (that is actually laughable to me),I was very interested in reading your points. After all, I do want to improve on what I do. So true I think. Oh, love those vintage embroidered pieces...thanks for showing.

Rebecca said...

You go Girl...
all the points you brought up are valid. I just wish they had judge training in my part of the country so we could see some growth in that field.

Janet O. said...

I love this post. Your reasons for judging are so good. I wish there was such a thing as judge certification in my community. And that is a great selfie, BTW.

Mary said...

A good Judge is hard to find. I have had simple comments like "Good Binding". Is that all they looked at?? I don't think I'll enter my Quilts this year. I entered last year and it wasn't good. I got a white on my Frolic Mystery. Never got one of those before. Maybe I should find an training Certification for Judging around here.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such an interesting post, Kathy! Thanks for sharing your really valid points. I've never submitted a quilt for any kind of judging, but it's interesting to know more about it!

Deb A said...

It is encouraging to have judges like you out there to encourage the art. It makes me think that someday I might actually enter a quilt into a fair.