Sunday, August 30, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to Slow Sunday Stitching!


We meet here every Sunday to celebrate the art of all varieties of hand stitching. If it involves a needle (or 2), and thread/yarn, and stitching taken with your hands, we want to know about it! 

Here's a little finish that I am proud of - my first knitted dishcloth. 
There are so many issues with this thing, from the uneven cast on (while I tried to remember how to do that!) to the wonky edges, it's not my best work. But you can see the whale pattern and I really enjoyed making it so that's what matters. 
Thank you for all the helpful ideas in the comments on last Sunday's post for ways to deal with knots in the yarn.


I've already cast on the stitches (more evenly this time) and have started another cloth. I'm using straight needles this time to make it a little easier for myself since that's how I learned to knit. I'm enjoying this Sudz yarn which is specifically for making dishcloths. 


Today I will be hand stitching the binding for my August mini quilt. You can see how I stitch the split hanging sleeve right into the top binding.


Hand Stretching Exercise
I'll end today's post with a hand stretching exercise from Becky Goldsmith. Show some kindness to your hands and treat them to a little stretch!

Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with us.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

20 comments:

CathieJ said...

I have yet to knit any dish or washcloths. That might be my next new small project. I really like that whale motif. FYI the hand stretching link isn't working.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Great job on the dishcloth! They are nice little projects aren't they? I am so thankful that I don't have the difficulty some do with their hands, but I have been careful to use the right techniques and to not over do it! Hopefully I will be able to stitch for a long time, can't imagine not being able to.

Sarah said...

Your whale looks great.....casting on and all! I'm not a fan of circular needles, I always get confused as to where my start place is (even using a stitch marker). can you use any 100% cotton yarn for the dishcloths? Enjoy your slow Sunday stitching.

Miaismine said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your first dishcloth! It came out wonderful! Our dishwasher broke a few months ago. My husband offered to fix/replace it, but I find that the warm water is really helping my hands! I am actually enjoying washing dishes by hand now! :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will have to check out those hand exercises for sure! I have not been practicing on dishcloths I should try that to learn stitches

Rebecca Grace said...

Your little dish cloth is way to beautiful; I could never bear to use it on the dishes! Thanks for sharing the hand stretching exercise and for hosting the linky.

MissPat said...

I thought the link for the hand stretchers wasn't working either, but you have to click on the highlighted words not the photo. Loe the whale in the dishcloth.
Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your dishcloth turned out great, Kathy! I just finished one I was working on, and the casting on and casting off at the end were definitely things I need more practice on. These little projects are a good way to get back into knitting!

Deanna W said...

I do see the whale!! and you started another one, pretty soon you will be knitting socks or a scarf!! I find knitting(when it is going well) as relaxing as hand stitching.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love the whale! Knitting dishcloths is one of my favorite projects. Enjoy your binding and have a great week!

linda said...

Your dishcloth looks great much too nice to use for dishes. Have a great week.

Karrin Hurd said...

I love your cloths! I had to download the whale and seahorse. Lord knows when I will have the time! Have a great stitching day!

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

I love your dishcloth!! Hand knitted dishcloths are the best. Thanks for the link to the pattern - I'm feeling the need to knit one myself.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What I love about your dish cloth is that you accepted the challenge to try something new and how clever to knit in that whale design. There is a lot of satisfaction in knitting something you can finish quickly too. I'm still using a supply from Mom who loved knitting up till her hands got too stiff at 84.

Turid said...

Yey, I suddenly saw the whale. Great.

Jill said...

Knitting looks great on the straight needles. Thanks for the tip about Sudz yarn and the hand exercise tip from Becky Goldsmith.

Faye said...

The dishcloth is super cute. What a clever idea

Deb A said...

That whale dishcloth is so darn cute! I would think the straight needles would be easier for that pattern. Your tension looks great on the second one.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, that's a cute dishcloth. Can you make it on straight needles or do they have to be round? I guess practice would make it more even but it's really cute. Thanks for the hand exercise video - I sure can use that for both stitching and typing. Have a great week. Take care.

Kim said...

Knitted dishcloths are popular right now. I love your sweet whale.