Saturday, April 14, 2012

Guild Challenge - Post #2: Finishing the Dresden Plate

In yesterday's post I wrote about the beginning of a challenge wallhanging (click here if you missed reading that). Once I had the Dresden Plate attached to the quilt, I decided that I didn't want to applique the outside edges of the plate to the background fabric, as is traditionally done. I really liked the points having a more 3D look, so I decided to tack down each point with a bead instead. I love that feature of the quilt!
That is when the title of the quilt came to me ... "Joy Spring". That is what quilting is to me, and I felt so much joy working with these fabrics and trying a new technique.
I then decided that the background quilting needed to be a free motion design to reflect energy and joy flowing out of the plate/fabrics. I was nervous about overquilting the background since I hadn't done much quilting on the dresden plate, and I wanted the wallhanging to lie flat. But after the quilt was done, I thought I probably could have made the quilting design on a smaller scale and I would have liked it more. I very, very rarely remove quilting stitches... once it's done, it is done, and when I know I tried my best, I move on, no matter what the outcome! 
Here is a close up of the center of the dresden plate, and there is a little crystal heart right in the center. I added a few purple sequins and some black twisted bugle beads (they cover up where the seams don't meet up properly, but don't tell anyone!).
I finished up the wallhanging with a bright scrappy binding using leftover strips.
In the end I didn't love it, but it was fun to sew. I have an idea for beading the background area but ran out of time before the challenge submission date. I wonder if doing that beading might help me to like the quilt more?
Tomorrow I will post the mini quilt I made for the same challenge.
If you like Dresden Plate quilts and want to see more, hop over to the Quilting Gallery and vote on your favorite. Also, to read an interesting history lesson about the Dresden Plate pattern, click here.

13 comments:

Teresa Rawson said...

This is such a happy project...and I really love the quilting design you decided to try. I think it works really well! I now have a machine that will do a little machine quilting...I just need to get brave and try it. Your Dresden project is motivating me!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Maryjo said...

Love what you ended up with...most creative!

Catskill Quilter said...

I love this Dresden! What a fabulous use of Kaffe Fassett fabrics - the placement of each print is wonderful.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Very nice, Kathy! The fabric placement gives lots of WOW to your plate.

Janet O. said...

I think it is beautiful--and I love the little bead touches here and there.

Jackie J said...

Love you dresden plate and your embellishments. Hope it takes a prize at our quilt show.

Diane said...

That's just a wonderful project. I love how bright and cheerful it is.

Ellen said...

I think you met the challenge head-on and did a great job with it!

Helen said...

Awesome & so inspiring. I love it. Great quilt. You did a great job.

Deb Robertson Writes said...

I love it so so so so much Kathy. It's stunning. I love the vibrant colours, they really sing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So creative! I love how you used pieces of fabrics to make your fabrics!! Great job

Teaquilts said...

Kathy, love the scrappy dresden plate quilt. The addition of the bead on the point makes me smile.

Just Quilt It said...

Oh, I do love this Dresden!