Thursday, September 04, 2008

A time for everything...

It has been a very stressful week. The kids started back to school, so all our family routines are different, and lots of decisions must be made about sports team tryouts, music lessons, and other extracurricular activities, ....plus how to get them back and forth to those activities. And of course, dealing with the dreaded issue of homework completion rears it's ugly head again!
And in addition to all of that stress, my almost 94 year old grandmother's health deteriorated drastically this past week and she passed away yesterday. I had been taking my parents frequently to visit, and then going back again in the evenings when I knew she would be alone. I just didn't want her to die alone, and I was relieved that she died when my Dad and his youngest sister from Newfoundland were both with her. Truthfully her passing is a welcomed relief after so many years of suffering with Alzheimers disease. This is a photo of Grandma in January on her 93rd birthday. She didn't know who anybody was, but could still communicate somewhat and right until the end of her life she enjoyed holding hands and just being together.
I am really craving some time alone and some quilting time, but the relatives are all arriving tomorrow, so I'll have to delay that a few more days. Now is time for cleaning, cooking, and visiting with relatives.

17 comments:

Jeanne said...

Sending hugs to you and your family and I will keep you all in my prayers.

GraceBeading said...

Kathy,

My sincere condolences on the passing of your grandma. I lost my 98 year old grandmother 10 years ago and she was not only a dear sweet friend to me, but a wonderful guide through life after my parents died. She loved me more than anyone has ever loved me. I miss her so much. Sheesh, I might just have to have a cry.

I understand how you would just want to get lost in your fabric and quilting while going over cherished memories of her, but alas - the realtives... I'll keep you in my thoughts

dot said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers to you and your family.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Sending you best wishes during this difficult time. Hugs.

Andrea said...

Sad news Kathy ! My best wishes to you and yours xx

Rose Marie said...

Prayers and thoughts are winging your way! Take care of yourself.

Linda said...

Sorry to hear of your loss! Make sure to take some time for yourself after everyone is gone!
((big hugs!))
Keeping you all in my thoughts & prayers.

Candace said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Even though we know things are for the best, it is still a loss and hard.
It sounds like she was a sweet affectionate lady.

Tanya said...

So sorry that you will be missing someone special in your life. 93! What a grand age! I hope you will take lessons learned from your grandmother and put them to work in your own life.

Libby said...

Sorry to hear the sad news - sending some virtual *hugs* your way.

swooze said...

I am sorry for your loss. It is never easy.

Greenmare said...

OH Kathy,
I'm sending you good thoughts and prayers. I'm going on retreat in two weeks and if I could take you along for your quiet time I would do it in a flash!

Floss said...

Sorry for your loss, even when it's for the best it is not easy.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I'm sorry for your loss and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Regina

sewnut said...

My sincere condolences for your family's loss. I hope that the gift of your time together helps your heart heal.

Danetta said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandma. When I saw the picture, it reminded me of my own grandma who has been gone for many years.