Friday, February 27, 2015

Quiltmaker Scrap Squad Reveal

Today is the day that my Quiltmaker project is posted on their blog. It is my first quilt as a member of the 2015 Scrap Squad. Put on your sunglasses - it's a bright one! 
Here it is! It was a very, very cold and windy day when I asked my brave friends to help me take a photo of the quilt outside. We took about 3 shots and had to run inside to warm up before we got frostbite!
The goal of the Scrap Squad is to take a pattern published in the Quiltmaker magazine and demonstrate how you can use up fabrics from your own stash to make the same pattern, but with your own twist on it.
My version of the quilt pattern called "Pointed Prisms" was made from some of the left over fabrics from last year's Super Bowl mystery. I also added in some wonderful spring colours - greens, yellows, pinks, and oranges from my stash and used white yardage for the background.
I made my quilt one row shorter than the pattern, so the finished size is 67" x 73".
It was a very energizing quilt to make in the middle of the winter, and I had so much fun machine quilting it. I used up at least 4 old spools of thread in the process. 
Who says you can only use one colour when you are quilting? These are the thread colours I used to quilt the brown triangles.

I worked on the quilt when I was at quilt retreat, and it will always remind me of the wonderful friends I have found in the quilting community.
Can't wait to get started on my next Scrap Squad quilt!

34 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's gorgeous! :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I love the pattern and the fabrics you chose really make it a hit! Great job and you got it done so quickly. Love that used scraps of thread to quilt it too!

Jean said...

Great job! I didn't know you were a member of the Scrap Squad this year! Congrats!

Jeanna said...

That is a beautiful quilt. What fun fabrics and just perfect for a snowy day.

The Cozy Quilter said...

A breath of fresh air ! just what we all need on this cold winter day!

Christine said...

Good work, Kathy. I read your article at Quiltmaker. So interesting how you went from start to finish and some good tips, too.

julieQ said...

I love it! So cheerful and fun!

Teresa in Music City said...

Great job Kathy! I love the colors you've used. Way to use up those scraps, even the scrap threads!!!

SandraC said...

Beautiful! Helps to warm me up a bit on yet another frigid day!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, Kathy! It's FABULOUS!!!

Deanna W said...

What a great quilt. It sure shows up against the stark white of all that snow!!!

Needled Mom said...

It is just beautiful.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice and bright! With all this cold and snow, bright is very welcome! Makes me think of sunshine.

canuckquilter said...

It's a beautiful quilt. I just popped over to the Quiltmaker blog to see the original. I can honestly say I like yours better. There's more movement in it. Isn't it fascinating how two quilts, same pattern, can look so different? Colour choice and placement makes a huge difference! I'm going to enjoy keeping up with your Scrap Squad adventures! Congratulations!

Mary said...

I love that you finished it on a Quilt Retreat with Friends! A great Quilt to start with on the QM Scrap Squad. Were you all given the same pattern?

swooze said...

Beautiful.

Angie said...

Wonderful! What a great shot of sunshine during this gloomy winter!

Angie said...

Wonderful! What a great shot of sunshine during this gloomy winter!

audrey said...

Very fun quilt! Great to make it straight out of the stash.:)

Anonymous said...

A simple and unique way to make a scrappy quilt! LOVE IT! Glad you got the picture in 3 shots! hugs~ Cathy

Janet O. said...

Great job, Kathy. I enjoyed reading your journey with this quilt on the QM site. It is a very sunshiney quilt and so many could use more of that right now!

Lisa J. said...

Hi Kathy: I saw this on the Scrap Squad blog before I saw it here. What a fun quilt. It looks like spring flowers poking up through the snow. Wishful thinking on my part. You did a great job describing your process.

Janet said...

It looks wonderful! A really interesting design. I love the brown fabric with the flowers on it :0)

Andee said...

It is gorgeous! I love how the memories of where we bought the fabric, where we sewed and with who get added to our love of the quilt!

Scrappy quilter said...

Congrats. It's is beautiful.

the girlfriend gap said...

It looks very fun and happy. Great job on your first scrap squad quilt!
Janita

Stevey said...

This makes me happy just looking at it. Also I'm in Texas and I promise to stop whining about our cold weather!!

Stevey said...

This makes me happy just looking at it. Also I'm in Texas and I promise to stop whining about our cold weather!!

Nell's Quilts said...

Congratulations on the first finish! It's beautiful and has such a warm feel to it. The little triangle in the pinks, oranges, greens and yellowy gold colours look like little tassels. So cute.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful, Kathy! Nothing like brights to cheer up a cold day. I've done the same when quilting, using up a lot of similar colored bobbins and partial spools!

Kate said...

Wow! Lots of warm colors in your version, versus the original pattern. Beautifully done.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is just awesome - I'm a day late to the party. Saw this over at Quiltmaker and commented there but forgot to visit you personally. Just a wonderful quilt with memories made.

Missy Shay said...

It turned out great, I love the colors!

Stephie said...

How fantastic is all that glorious colour in the winter landscape! I can't believe how much you get done Kathy :)