Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Back home

I am home from my exciting trip to Michigan...
exhausted from too much quilting fun, too much chatting late at night with my sister (who although she is not at all interested in quilting, was sweet enough to let me talk late into the night about my classes with Bonnie Hunter), and too much driving! I am anxious to get back to work on my two brand new projects from the classes I took, but I do need to spend some time with my family first...can't just pull out the sewing machine right away, can I??!? LOL!
This is the pile of fabrics I had cut for the second day of classes, using the EZ Angle ruler, which thanks to Bonnie, is the only way I am doing HST's from now on!
And here is a photo of Bonnie with me on the second day of classes. I had already been sewing for a few hours and was putting together some blocks for my "Blue Ridge Beauty" quilt which I will likely call something like "Plaid Beauty".  I am not sure of the layout I will use for this quilt, but on the table you can see one of the possibilities.
Don't I look happy?!?  Besides meeting Bonnie in person, and being inspired by her wonderful lecture, and seeing some of her fabulous quilts, the other great thing is that I cleared out ALL of the old plaids (yes ALL!) from my stash to put into this quilt and am delighted with how much storage room I will have (that I can re-fill with my new purchases!) now that all that old fabric is being sewn into a quilt.

18 comments:

Mary Lou Casada said...

How cool is that! Bonnie Hunter, family, using up old fabric, having new to replace it...sounds like the perfect home-away-from-home! :-D Makes me wanna drag out all my plaids and my Bonnie Hunter books and see what damage I can do.
So glad your trip was all you hoped and more!
Blessings,
Mary Lou

scraphappy said...

Isn't it amazing how good it feels to use things up? Those blocks look great. Have fun choosing a layout.

Darlene said...

Nice to hear that you had tons of fun - home with a very happy heart.

AnnieO said...

What a soul satisfying trip you had! All the best of getaways all at once, family, fun, sewing, learning, and laughter! Glad it was wonderful. Oh, and Right On! to the plaid stashbusting!

Mary said...

Nice that you got a picture alone with Bonnie. The plaids look nice on teh table too. No one famous coming to my retreat in November:((

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I have admired the Blue Ridge Beauty quilt and may have to make one some day. I'm already hooked on the Easy Angle ruler--it makes HST's so easy and accurate. I am looking forward to seeing your projects develop. The Plaid Beauty looks great so far!

Gina said...

Glad you had a great time and I love the blocks you made. The layout looks good

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Welcome home! Your blocks look great! I'm glad you had such a good time. Happy Fall!

Susan said...

I am so glad that you had such a delightful time. That kind of adventure brings you home with new enthusiasm.... and using scraps is always a good thing.

Zlaty said...

Isn't it good to be back home! You both look very very happy!I am glad you had such a fabulous time and use so man fabrics!

Happy sewing!

Zlaty said...

I wanted to type so many fabrics! :)

swooze said...

How wonderful!

Gari in AL said...

The layout of your plaid fabric quilt is beautiful. I have a few plaid fat quarters that I get out every once in a while but then they get put back because I have no ideas. I think sometime after the first of the year they need to come out and play.

Judy D in WA said...

What a great quilt this will turn in to. Love the plaids...lucky you, getting to meet Bonnie, see all the fabulous quilts AND take classes. I'm turning green. :)

julieQ said...

Kathy!! I am just pea green with envy (not really) but almost...I would love to be in a class led by Bonnie! I too am making a Blue Ridge beauty...love your home spuns, just a wonderful idea! YOu look so very happy...good for you!

Khris said...

OMG I am just so jealous..you lucky lucky girl having Bonnie sit right next to you....ohhhh to be in your seat...hugs Khris

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sounds wonderfully inspiring! I bet Bonnie is full of good ideas!

Pat Sloan said...

cute photo of you and Bonnie!