Monday, August 23, 2010

Design Wall Monday

Today I have my leaders/enders blocks up on the design wall. Even though I don't seem to be devoting much time to this project, the pile of my 3" blocks is gradually growing...that is the magic of leaders/enders!  Once in a while I press a bunch of scraps from the scrap bag, and do some cutting so there will always be blocks ready to sew.
And I have been playing with the light/dark fabric combinations. In these blocks I used the aqua fabric as both a light (with the dark blue) and then as a dark (with the yellow as the light).

I am at the point where I need to make some decisions about the layout to make some choices about cutting and organizing the remaining dotty scraps.


Option #1 - straight set with the diagonal light chains.












Option #2 - 4 blocks set together making "rings" of the lights or darks. If I go with this layout, I can have more fun with playing with the lights/darks in block construction, and I already have machine quilting ideas emerging.
If you have any thoughts or other layout ideas, leave me a comment.
Go over and check out Judy's blog...not only can you see the design walls of over 60 quilters around the world...but notice that Judy and I have THE SAME blocks on our design walls...what are the chances?!?

20 comments:

Tamera said...

I kind of like the straight set.

Chris said...

I like the option 1. It is looking great.

Gail said...

I would keep the 4 per block design like in #2, but have the blocks arranged as if they are going in a circle. Then I would encase each block set with sashing.

scraphappy said...

There is nothing wrong with the straight set, but I think the rings really look nice. The secondary pattern makes it look much more complicated. You have to love the power of leaders and enders.

Diane said...

oh you're having way to much fun--just like me!!

Mary said...

I think you and Judy are just crazy doing 3" blocks! I like the Option 2. I will have to check back on Judy's I didn't see the similarity. It may have been the early hour I looked at her Blog...

Beth said...

I like option 2...reminds me of a Bento Box...really like the dotty fabric..

Kathie said...

love the color choices. Like both settings my favorite is the rings.

Nina Marie said...

The two sets are great - but to tell you what kind of quilter I am - I thought the first picture of the scraps was the most interesting - you start sewing those all down to a foundation and it would make a really interesting wall quilt LOL!

Heather said...

I like option 2 best. The lights seem tostand out better. iN option 1 the lights seem to get lost more often.

Pat said...

Your work is beautiful, my dear. Thank you for sharing.
Happy Quilting!

AnnieO said...

Seems you have already made up your mind if you are thinking of quilting designs, LOL! I like the second option very much. Lively and lots of energy.

Vicki H. said...

very nice. I can't wait to see your quilting design no matter what set you choose. That is a ton of tiny squares!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I like the second option. The dots are wonderful! I am looking forward to seeing how this quilt develops!

The Twilight Quilters Coven said...

I like option #2....

Floss said...

both look good, but I perfer option 2

julieQ said...

Oh, I like those...another on the old to do list!

julieQ said...

and I blogged about you today...hee!

Millie said...

Like both settings, so I am not hepimg you at all. Or you can make 2 quilts. LOL

Zlaty said...

What a pretty batik fabrics!

I think i like the first option, but it's your quilt! Maybe if you put sashing in option number 2 and corner square? Just an idea, I know it's more work!

Happy sewing! :)