Sunday, March 09, 2008

Digging Out again

What a huge amount of snow we had this weekend. Lots of shovelling. Thankfully there are 4 of us in the family to take turns at it. We have been shovelling our own driveway and sidewalks, helping the elderly neighbours with theirs, and helping to push out cars that were stuck in the snow. Can you see that the snowbanks are higher than our car?!?In Kathy's Quiltland, I have been thinking about an old UFO called "La Vie En Rose". I don't very often buy kits, but for some reason I liked this a few years ago. The flower blocks were fun to sew, and now I think the colours are so pale. But I will finish it and I am excited about my ideas for quilting it. But first I have to finish the border...the place where my UFO's are created!
It is supposed to have the pieced border on the right, but I thought it was "too much". So I decided to use the green fabric that I bought for the backing instead. And that means I have to piece the backing from the pieces I was going to use for the border. Do you follow? The border and the backing are switching places!
I won't have much time the next little while to do as much quilting since I have taken on another part time job...just for 3 months, working days a week doing work for the Community Health Centre with post partum depression clients. With the winter weather we have had...we have had snow every 2 days out of 3 since Dec. 1st and more than half the days have seen less than 1 hour of sunshine (according to the newspaper)...the incidents of post partum depression in our community has skyrocketed. So I'll help out until the weather improves and hopefully the referrals decrease. My daughter asked me how I was going to do three jobs - I'm not sure yet!! But I know I'll figure it out!

9 comments:

antique quilter said...

I really like this quilt...the green border is wonderful. Oh the backing will be interesting :)
you made the right decision to put the green border on in mho!!!!
good luck with 3 jobs :)
maybe you need to do some hand quilting to relieve some of your own stress.
Kathie

Leanne said...

Your snow is amazing we have had 9 days above 35C and it doesn't look like getting any cooler perhaps you could send us some cold and I will send you some heat.

Rhonda said...

What a lot of snow! We actually got a bit of snow this past week but by noon it had melted. I was very glad not to have to drive on the roads though.

Katie said...

Happy me, to be away from snow! :-)

You're right about the quilt, pretty but pale. I think the green really brightens it up!

Libby said...

I just can't get over how much snow that is! It all seems like fun and games to me, but when you have to go shovel - for yourself and others - I imagine it's a whole new story. Your quilt, though, looks like a refreshing touch of spring.

Anonymous said...

Wow for a change we missed the big dumping and only got 6".I agree the green border is much better. It frames the whole quilt.Good choice.Good luck with the whole job thing, I am not sure how women do it with one job nevermind 2 or 3.

Nicole & Phil said...

I'd rather be quilting than shovelling all that snow. Wish we had some here!

Greenmare said...

you poor thing! I really feel for you! Around here it sort of feels like Narnia when they say "it's always winter and never Christmas" well, we had Christmas, but you know what I mean. Gosh do you ever!

Greenmare said...

Oh and you are sooooooo right on the green for the border! it totally makes that quilt!