Sunday, August 14, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to Slow Sunday Stitching
Yesterday I was at the Fergus Scottish Festival where I enjoyed a whole day of hand quilting. Every year Virginia (owner of Undercover Quilts) sets up a quilt frame in the Heritage Tent and invites everyone to come and quilt. The day started off with 6 quilters and this year we were working on a baby quilt in bright colours. 
It was somewhat dark in the tent due to terrible weather and I was very glad I took along my Clover needle threader. If I wouldn't have had this tool, I would not have been able to thread a needle I'm sure. At times it was difficult to see well enough to quilt at all. But we were just stitching in the ditch, so it was easy enough to figure out where to go (just don't look closely at the stitches).
There was constant entertainment in the tent, and lots of activity to watch. The spinners and weavers were there. This is Anna, and she showed me how she was following a very complex weaving pattern.

The bobbin lace makers were there making intricate tiny pieces of lace. This makers' hands were moving so fast that I couldn't get a good picture of her.
And just look at this lovely display of wool embroidery projects! This is Laura and she had several stitcheries on the go. I enjoyed looking at each of her projects and firmly told myself not to get interested in this, as I cannot afford to fall in love with one more type of hand work. There just are not enough hours in one life time!

We've had such a hot and dry summer so far, but not today. Of course because we have the big festival this weekend, it stormed most of the day. It was like being in a sauna and I was sweating just sitting still doing nothing. Just look at the rain teeming down. The fields became huge mud puddles, but we were dry in the tent.


And by about the middle of the afternoon, this lap quilt was done! You can see that the poles on the quilt frame were rolled several times until we were stitching knee to knee. If you go to the festival today there will be a new quilt in the frame, and you can sit down and put a few stitches in yourself!
Even though it stormed, and just poured down rain, we all worked on our hand work projects, creating wonderful masterpieces and enjoying the music, stitching and conversation.

I hope you will take time to enjoy some slow stitching today. We love to see your hand stitching projects and cheer you on, so link up your blog post below and show us what you're working on.

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

22 comments:

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Sounds like the most wonderful day!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

What a wonderful day 💖

SandraC said...

So jealous of your day at the festival. We have been preparing for a family event here today, so couldn't go. Hopefully next year. I would have liked to meet the featured author who is supposed to be there, the writer of Outlander, Diana Gabaldon.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

While it is not raining at the moment it is like a sauna where I am right now ...very high humidity, so I know exactly what you mean. How fun to see all of the goings on under one tent ! The lace-making intriques me...I am going to have to google that later on and see if there is a video online to show me how she was doing that! : )

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you all stayed dry in the tent and the wind didn't get bad!! looks like fun

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Sorry your festival had such a rain day, but you all look dry and busy.

maggie fellow said...

What a wonderful festival. Lace making is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Hot here too, actually the temperature isn't that high (high 80s) but the humidity is suffocating! Usually the mountains are not like this, usually drier and not quite as warm by now. I cannot wait for autumn! I am gathering my slow stitching projects for football season, and will link up soon!

Teresa said...

Very interesting to see all the on-going projects. I have always wanted to try that bobbin lace making, but like you, not sure I want to spare my quilting time for a new craft. Thanks for sharing.

CathieJ said...

Oh that festival looks wonderful rain and all. I would love to watch the bobbin lace making.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I feel so bad after reading your post. I have a lovely ac sewing room and since moving I just haven't been able to settle down and enjoy my stitching. Just too many things I want to get done each day and I end up not getting anything done fretting over it. Here you are in a tent with mother nature trying her best to make things difficult and you all are enjoying your stitching.

Karen said...

The bobbin lace making looks oh so complicated. I wonder how they know which one to pick up and move and when. Not a craft I will take up but would be interesting to watch someone doing it. Maybe I can find a You Tube video.

Melanie said...

What a wonderful time spent despite the rain! Lucky you!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

It looks like such a wonderful day!

Deb said...

Such wonderful projects at the festival, I love the wool embroidery but I too avoid it as I know it would be addicting. Even with all the rain it sounds like a great time was had by all.

Deb A said...

Sounds like a fun time despite the rainy weather. So many great projects being worked on in your tent, you are one lucky lady.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

It looks like it was a fun and interesting day!

Marie said...

What a great idea to invite folks to join in the quilting. We've had hot, hot weather here too but for the last two days it has looked like your view from the tent. It's so dry that it's hard to get too upset by lousy timing. Looks like it didn't stop the quilting fun.

Sarah said...

Despite the rain it looks like you had a nice day! I'm especially loving the wool embroidery work.

Robin said...

I would have loved to come and hand quilt. I wish I could find a venue like that here. Thanks for sharing all the activities.

Judy said...

I was glad you were able to join us again. Every year we have fun around the frame and yes it can be fun quilting in the rain as long as you have a dry tent and good friends to keep you company.

Sherill said...

I check your blog everyday and really enjoy it!! Sunday's are extra special as I love hand projects! Keep up the great fun!!