Saturday, June 23, 2012

Paper Piecing Craving!

Sometimes I just get a hankering to do some paper piecing.  I found a great blog with lots of original and free paper piecing patterns called Sew Hooked. In April Jennifer hosted a "paper pieced pattern a day garden party blog hop" and showed many cute patterns! She also has a series of blocks from The Hobbit, and many other themes series including Sesame Street, Blues Clues, Hunger Games, Start Trek, Harry Potter, etc.  So many unique patterns...check it out! 
If only there were more hours in the day! I just don't have time to start a new project and want to focus on finishing up my UFO's.
After seeing Connie's post showing a cute block she was sewing, I thought to myself "well, maybe I'll just quickly make up one teeny tiny, little block". I had to hop over to the Quilt Play blog's tutorial and print out the pattern to try. It was very fun and a great use of scraps! So now I apparently have started another project for my rainbow scrap challenge!
I did have a slight glitch and cut my pattern by mistake...not once, but twice, sewing that last light center strip! It was easy to fix using the Scotch Magic Tape (a trick I learned from a Carol Doak book).
It sure was fun to do some paper piecing again.
To see what other purple projects the rainbow scrappers are working on, click here.

13 comments:

Janet O. said...

I have to admit that the urge to paper piece has never hit me. : )
This is a really fun block--and even if it wasn't, I love anything in purple!

scraphappy said...

Your purple fabrics are just delicious. they look so pretty against the white. It really doesn't count as a new project when it is part of an existing challenge though. I am almost positive that is in the rules somewhere:)

beaquilter said...

I love foundation paper piecing too, it takes a long time but I love the result!

julieQ said...

Oh how pretty! Hey, I need your snail mail!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Oh your block is so neat!! I definitely think you have another rainbow project in the making and I am going to try it some more too. I'm with you, we need more sewing hours in the day! I had to chuckle when I made the first block and trimmed the white strip on the sewing line. Not much you can do with a 1/4 inch strip.

Teresa in Music City said...

Very nice! I love all the purple spikes! Paper piecing is a favorite of mine, and I am reminded that I need to start a new pp project soon :*)

Amy said...

Oh Kathy!!!! I will try to resist the temptation that you linked all over your post! Amazing fun looking block.

Kristy QP said...

Ooh your block looks great! Love it in the purples. So glad you found the pattern helpful for scraps! :)

Edith said...

Very nice, and thanks for including links, I might want to try this.

Diane said...

Urge to paper piece-you are so funny-I've not experienced that yet!! LOVE your purples and glad you got your "fix" :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I guess I haven't done enough paper piecing to get that urge...lol. But I sure do like your purple piece..and thanks for your links. I may get a chance to take a look.

Elly D said...

Gorgeous block with gorgeous purple fabrics!!

Deb A said...

Love your purple fabrics! Thanks for the links.... I love Harry Potter!