Sunday, December 21, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching


It's Sunday - time for some rest and relaxation. I know it's the last Sunday before Christmas and everyone is working on frantic preparations and bordering on nervous breakdowns at the mall, but I encourage you to take even a few moments to slow down and enjoy some hand stitching. I read a great blog post about how to simplify the holidays, and used some slow stitching time this week to really think about this. Here are some of my thoughts:
1) Christmas goals need to be compatible with the amount of energy and time I have. For many years I pushed myself passed the point of exhaustion - unnecessarily. I wanted to create a perfect Christmas experience for my children. I have learned that a) I can do everything to the best of my ability and still can not make life/Christmas perfect for everyone, and b) everything that needs to get done, always gets done.  
If time runs out and it's not done, it wasn't really necessary! The same time pressure will start to build this year, only I will not be beside myself. I am trying to be more thoughtful, and more reflective about why I am doing the things I do, and asking myself "is this really important to me or my family?" I am not assuming I know the answers, I am asking them directly. 
the-gift-of-me-time-this-christmas
Mums Relaxation
2) I must practice good self care. I don't want to sacrifice my health anymore and get run down "burning the candle at both ends", and then end up having the flu or a cold, or complete exhaustion over the holidays. So my biggest gift to myself this year is: I give myself enough time to do the jobs I need to do. And I rest when I need to, no matter how long the "to-do list" is.

3) I make time for brief slow stitching sessions. I have my project out where I can see it as a visual prompt to sit down and put in a few stitches, regroup, and then carry on. 
As a result I have finished the inside part of hand quilting on my sampler quilt! All 20 stars, 12 blocks and 31 sashings have been hand quilted.
The sun came out so I ran outside to take a picture of the quilt on the clothesline. It's a little wrinkly :)


I am still stuck on how to quilt the border and none of my ideas are inspiring me yet. So I will wait until an idea sticks. This is how it looks from the back. I love the texture of the red hand stitching on the gold fabric!
What are you hand stitching today? Are you feeling too busy to sit and stitch? I encourage you to take some time to slow down - you'll feel refreshed, and a little more "filled up". If you have time to make a blog post and link it below, we'd love to see what you're working on.




28 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Lovely quilt. For the border have you considered piano keys? Based on the whole quilt and its motion I think it would work. Hugs.

Chantal said...

It was a beautiful top and now it is an awesome quilt. Don't give up, the inspiration will come from the most unexpected place. I will join you in some slow stitching as I refuse to be pushed today. lol.

Quilting Stories said...

Your quilt is so beautiful and I love the backing color and quilting too!

Created by Kathi said...

Joining you in some slow stitching today too! Thanks for doing the linky as well! :) Happy Christmas Kathy to you and yours! Kathi

Turid said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. I take the time to sew some stitches every day, as you do. That way it's growing slowly, but still growing. Have a merry Christmas.

Cathy said...

Good advice. (I learned all that long ago). Awesome and inspiring stitching.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just love your quilt ... I'm sure you'll find inspiration somewhere on how to quilt the borders ... I can't wait to see what you decide.

I do my best to get in at least a few slow stitches every day ... and when I get a chance to really slow down and get in several hours of slow stitching, I jump at the chance ... and today is going to be one of those days! Woo hoo!

Sue said...

Gorgeous quilt! I agree with you about slowing down and destressing. I'm married to a metal and stained glass artist and this time of the year gets really crazy as she fills Christmas orders.

Nancy said...

This post was right on the mark for me. I always think of things I want to do right at the end when there is no time and push myself. This year not so much and I feel a lot better.
Beautiful quilting.

Kate said...

You offer some really useful advice. I started early this year on preparations, so I'm less stressed this year than normal.

The sampler looks great. The gold on the back looks prefect, as does all those red stitches. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

WOW is it ever beautiful! Well you finished it right around Christmas time...maybe quilt little bells, trees, doves, stockings or something around the border! :)

Ellen said...

Your quilt is beautiful and the quilting is just lovely! At our house we have really simplified Christmas and the preparations for it.

beaquilter said...

that quilt is lovely! love the star in the sashing! I was thinking something square on the border, unless you want to do a braid? otherwise I'd say straight lines either coming out sideways or just an outline of the inside quilt, repeated....

Juliann in WA said...

What great advice. I love this one - "Everything that needs to get done, always gets done" so true

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't do near as much at Christmas time as I used to and it makes it so much easier

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

The sampler quilt is beautiful. I guess I've been a slow stitcher for a long time. I always have something on the go, that I can sit and relax and enjoy the process. Right now it is knitting socks.

Julierose said...

Loving that star sashing--nice post hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well stated - we all need to step back, slow down, simplify. Your quilt is lovely.

sunny said...

Great tips. I think that as women we try to make everything so perfect, and much of it goes unnoticed or unappreciated. Merry Christmas!

Teresa in Music City said...

Great post Kathy! I think we could all use a reminder to slow down and enjoy what's important this holiday season. Your quilt looks wonderful! I love the back almost as much as the front :) I know you have such a sense of satisfaction every time you look at it. If you're like me, you probably run your hand over the stitching often and smile :)

liniecat said...

Gosh yes, I recognise my own need in what you said here below!
lol
" I must practice good self care. I don't want to sacrifice my health anymore and get run down "burning the candle at both ends", and then end up having the flu or a cold, or complete exhaustion over the holidays. So my biggest gift to myself this year is: I give myself enough time to do the jobs I need to do. And I rest when I need to, no matter how long the "to-do list" is."

Sarah said...

Here here, slow Sunday stitching! Love your quilt, the colours are beautiful.

CathieJ said...

Oh wow, did I need to see this: "a) I can do everything to the best of my ability and still can not make life/Christmas perfect for everyone". My husband and I just had a disagreement about my need to try to make Christmas perfect. You hit the nail on the head. Thank youYour quilting is beautiful. Inspiration will come for your border.

Janet O. said...

Can't believe how quickly you have quilted that, Kathy!! Love the red on gold from the back. : )

Denise :) said...

Kathy, what about small, eight-pointed stars spread equidistantly through the border? It would pick up and pay homage to the cornerstone stars...maybe two small stars in between the bigger pieced ones?

Michelle said...

Your quilt is really pretty. Love the gold fabric for the back.

Lynette said...

I completely agree with your comments about relaxing with the holiday expectations. Super post. :)

Sheila said...

Your sampler quilt is beautiful!