Sunday, March 02, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching Linky Party


This week I tried out a new (to me) product called "finger cots" which were  recommended by Teresa at Fabric Therapy (see blog post here). I finally located some at Shoppers Drug Mart. They worked great and I liked them for pulling the needle and thread through easily. It was more convenient than constantly picking up the needle grabber discs that I had been using. 
I was getting very co-ordinated with the thimble on my middle finger and the cot on the first finger, until the cot cut off the circulation in my finger! I fixed that problem by cutting into the rim at the edge and it worked perfectly, and my finger stopped turning purple. 


My big announcement is that this week I finished hand quilting the 9th block on my Journey of a Quilter....the 9th and last block! I started hand quilting these blocks in December 2012. I have just loved every step of making these blocks - the fabric selection, block construction, hand embroidery, and the hand quilting. This one block has over 30 different fabric scraps in it, and even the light background fabrics are scrappy leftovers too.

Here is how the quilt looks today...

YUM!
I spent some time running my hands over the stitches, admiring the texture that hand quilting gives. My mind revisited many memories from working on this quilt over the years. One of the benefits of having a blog is that you can easily review your posts about a quilt's journey - you can see the 35+ posts written about this quilt since July 2007 by clicking here
My biggest hand stitching challenge today will be that I am puppysitting my granddog Max. And he doesn't like hand stitching, or anything slow! He wants me to play with him. All the time. It's cute for a while and then it's annoying!  "Come on Grandma... play with me"!
I hope to be able to get the border design marked today. I had been debating about hand quilting an unmarked design, a "liberated" free motion kind of quilting. Since I didn't do any marking on the blocks, it seemed like I should do the same for the borders. But I really had my heart set on a cable pattern around the border, and I can't do that in a free motion, unmarked way. Still thinking about it.
What are you hoping to stitch today? I hope you have some time to enjoy your hand stitching project, and link up your blog post below. 




31 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

I think something sweet and simple would be fun in the border in a light colored thread to match the middle of the quilt :) You have done so much handwork it would be sad to see FMQ at this point I would think for this piece.. just my 2 cents... thanks for hosting and inspiring me to post :) Kathi

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is so lovely. I get two furries that interupt for some affection or food. I tried to link up but it isn't working.

Kitchener Quilter said...

Love how your quilt looks. Yes that texture of hand quilting is lovely. You aren't far from finishing! I use those finger cots, too, for my machine quilting, instead of gloves, which I hate wearing. They work fabulously.

Jill said...

Your quilt is wonderful. So original and personal. I also purchased finger cots this week. I don't put them on my finger; I just use them to pull. Perhaps you should consider entering your quilt into a show so others can view it in person? I am also considering a cable border for my quilt. Thanks for linky party. It motivates me.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I love this quilt and am going to go back and review some of those posts a bit later..i have seen some but probably not the earliest ones. I have a quilting post to upload but I linked up a separate one for the rag rug ...my Slow Weaving, lol, since I finished it up.

Quilting and some applique today in between snow shoveling? Not sure...they keep changing when and how much snow we are to get.

Denise :) said...

Kathy, your Journey quilt is absolutely stunning! If I were you, since you've had your heart set on a cable pattern for the borders, I would do just that--otherwise, you'll always regret it, don't you think? I cannot use thimbles when I quilt, of any type -- I just take care not to bleed on my quilts. I'm such a goofball! Happy quilting today! :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm always partial to cable patterns in the borders ... I'm confident that your finished quilt will be gorgeous however you choose to quilt the border.

Thanks again for hosting this ... love the eye candy and the new bloggy friends I've made as a result of this party.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I so love your beautiful quilt! It must be breathtaking to see in person and admire the stitching and scrappy fabrics. I look forward to seeing what you decide on for the borders.

Peggy said...

A beautiful work of art. What a good job you did! Now, what do you plan on doing with it? It deserves to be hung where you can enjoy it and it's sentiments every day.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will be doing a little quilting and some piecing today I do believe seeing as the weather will be so nasty today I doubt I will go outside! Beautiful quilt love what you have doing with it.

Cathy said...

Yummmm is right. I love your quilt. That's a LOT of stitching and memories, I'm sure.

Finger cot?? I can't help but think it looks like a finger condom!

Ellen said...

Congratulations Kathy, your quilt looks fantastic.

I use those finger cots as well. They really do help me a lot because my finger would always get sore trying to pull the needle through tough spots. I have found them in the pharmacy section at Superstore.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am sure you will come up with something for the border. I prefer the rubber finger tips over the finger cots. Those cots cut off my circulation. Another blustery, rainy day here, so I am sure it will be a day filled with stitches.

Teresa in Music City said...

I just LOVE your quilt Kathy! Every time I see it I think, "I need to look that pattern up" :) But then I remember that I have plenty to do already, so probably better not LOL!!! I'll just enjoy yours - it's so wonderful :) Enjoy playing with the grand-dog and (hopefully) some border options today!

Barb Neiwert said...

Oh, Kathy, your quilt is amazing! I love the hand quilting on it. What a great project.

Renee said...

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous!

Angie said...

Really lovely, Kathy! There's nothing more satisfying than a project that's full of your personality and your stitches!

Barbara said...

Your quilt is looking fantastic.

Cindy Nielsen said...

I really like all your suggestions for techniques or tools that help in the process of your handwork.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I too so very much love this quilt. Beautiful work!

Kate said...

Beautifully done! Hope you Max gives you a chance to get some stitching done.

Ivani said...

Jorney of Quilter is awesome, I wish to learn how to hand stitching. I'll be looking forward to know what you decide about the borders. Happy Slow Sunday Stitching.

scraphappy said...

What a beautiful quilt. Enjoy pondering the border as you finish off the last little bit of quilting. The nice thing about hand quilting is that even as you get so close, there is still plenty of time left to make a decision.

Quilting Nonnie said...

I am totally in love with your quilt! I tried looking for a pattern after you showed it last week, but I guess they're gone with the wind. I'll have to try the finger cots, thanks for mentioning them. All along I've been using those finger tip things used to flip pages. I just turn them inside out and wear them! They've been great, but those cots look like they'd be lighter. If you've been wanting a cable for your border, then you should do it!

audrey said...

Love how you talked about running your hands over the stitching. That's something I love to do to. Hand quilting is so rewarding! Your quilt is absolutely beautiful with the stitching.:)

Béa said...

Love love love this quilt, always wanted to have/make this pattern. BRAVO XXX

margaret said...

your quilt is a real beauty,

Deanna W said...

I use those finger cots too for machine quilting. Check out the box, mine has different sizes in the box. Will link up on Monday. My camera died today and I so want to include photos!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Finger Cots!!! What a great idea! I have always kept a tiny pair of pliers handy for stubborn needles...but your right, the constant stopping to pick up another tool can get tiresome at times. Having working in hospitals and nursing homes for many years I knew about Finger Cots, but it never occured to me that they would give me the grip I needed, with the added bonus of being comfy to wear while stitching. Guess I'll drive down the way to my local Walgreen's and get a pack of them. Thanks for sharing Kathy! Hugs...
***You Journey quilt is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Janet O. said...

I'll have to try the finger cots when I eventually start hand quilting my long promised quilt for my youngest son.
Congrats on your monumental achievement, Kathy! It is looking beautiful! I will be curious to see what you decide to do for the border. : )

Needled Mom said...

Wow....that is a real beauty!