Sunday, September 02, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching - A Finish!

I have finished the quilting on my all time favorite hand quilting project - Quilter's Blessings! See what happens when your sewing machine is broken?!?! More hand quilting time! 
I really enjoyed quilting the straight line chevrons in the outside borders. I tried the Hera marker and really liked it as a marking tool since there are no marks to worry about removing. But you really do need to have great lighting to quilt on Hera marker lines. I don't know how much longer my eyes will let me use that tool for marking! 





There are so many memories in this quilt and I remember the exact day that I started the embroidery on the first block when I was at quilt retreat in 2008!
There is such a sense of accomplishment creating a project with your own hands. I have been really enjoying the Slow Sunday Stitching posts and the variety in the projects that are posted in the links. Last week we had applique, english paper piecing, quilting, embellishing, and embroidery projects...all by hand! I enjoyed visiting each blog listed and thank you all for linking up.
I hope you will post a photo on your blog of what your hands are creating this week, and link up your post below. Every link will be entered into the draw for this harvest charm pack of fruits and vegetables, and a cute little pair of scissors for your hand stitching. 
Happy Stitching!



21 comments:

scraphappy said...

Huge WOOHOO on your finish. It does look fabulous and is done just in time for your machine to come home again. I've gotten lots done on dj this week and will take some photos this morning. Happy Sunday.

Darlene said...

A beautiful finish, Kathy. Your handquilting is fabulous.

dortha said...

Kathy, I love your quilt. You did such a good job. It will become an heirloom. You must be so proud of it.

Deb A said...

A big Congrats on your finish. All hand quilted and all the hand work on this is really making this quilt a treasure.

Yvette said...

Oh wow! I love it!!!! You did a wonderful job.

Teresa in Music City said...

What a great finish Kathy!!! It is a lovely quilt and your quilting enhances it beautifully :*) It is amazing all the memories that go along with a quilt, especially one that takes a few years like yours. I feel the same way about my Dear Jane which took 4 years.

I'm looking forward to some slow stitching while watching golf today. Hoping to link up!

Elaine M said...

WOW, great finish! Just love Quilter's Blessing, and you did a wonderful job hand quilting.

Janet O. said...

That is an achievement, Kathy. The quilting looks lovely and really makes your blocks shine. It is so satisfying to complete a hand quilted project. I have one I need to start, and I know it will be a long term thing.

Judy D in WA said...

It's just fabulous Kathy! Congratulations on a wonderful finish that is sure to be a treasure forever.

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow what a great quilt. As a Canadian I keep thinking one day I should do a Red and White quilt. I love yours. Extra special to have all the hand work on it.

audrey said...

Wow, wow, wow! So beautiful and getting the hand quilting finished always feels like such an acomplishment! Congrats!

Deb A said...

Re linked! Thanks Kathy.

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish. Beautifully done. It's a gorgeous quilt.

Mary said...

Love the Quilting on your Embroidered masterpiece. Now you get to sleep under it and have the sweet dreams of a job well done!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love your slow stitching project. It's just wonderful.

Karen said...

You do such nice quilting. And who doesn't love red and white quilts! I still have those patterns for the embroidery blocks. Maybe some day.

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

It's so beautiful!
Carol

Jeanne said...

Awesome! It is a beautiful quilt, Kathy.

MichelleY said...

Hello,

I was wondering where I can get the instructions and kit for this embroidery project. I really love it and would like to make it a 2013 project. Thanks!

ThreadCatcher said...

Do you know if these block patterns are still available? I can't seem to find them.

Unknown said...

I am also working on hexagon flowers using 1930 reproduction Moda candies.