Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Grandma's quilt & my latest quilt

This was a week that was, as my son calls it, "happy sad". I will miss my Grandma and am feeling the finality of death, but am so relieved to not watch her suffer anymore. I was thinking today that we would not allow an animal to suffer like that, but trying to get the appropriate medication for her was a nightmare. Her order of pain medicines was finally approved and passed through all the paperwork and "red tape" 4 hours after her death! Anyway, the funeral was a loving tribute to her life and a celebration of her spirit. I played her favorite hymn on the piano as my contribution and as a remembrance of the love of music that we both shared.
I had a big decision to make regarding the rail fence quilt I had made for Grandma. Here is a photo taken on the day I gave her the quilt, 13 years ago. She used it as a lap quilt on her sofa, but when she went to the nursing home, she had it on her bed. At some point the pillow that matched the quilt had disappeared, but in the 2 years that Grandma lived there, the quilt never went missing! It was quite worn out though after all that use, and I decided that her quilt should stay with her. So she was wrapped in her quilt in the coffin and her hands folded over the edge. I felt comfort in the fact that she will be wrapped in my gift of love for all time.
I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who sent me such warm messages of condolence and support. I appreciate very much each and every one.
So now the funeral is over, and the company has gone home.
I finally had a bit of time to myself today and in between loads of laundry was able to do some quilting. I decided to work on something that required no brain power and work on finishing my Criss Cross quilt. You can read about the beginning of it here. The first thing I did was take out this solid light blue fabric which I really didn't like with the rest of the fabrics. I added in another pink fabric in it's place and was happier. Here is the finished quilt top. I have the borders ready to sew on and will be thinking as I fall asleep tonight about how I will do the quilting.

9 comments:

GraceBeading said...

Oh Kathy... what a wonderful loving way to be buried, wrapped in something that was so treasured while she was alive and made with your very hands.

Gina said...

Whata wonderful thing to do for your grandma.

Love and hugs GIna xxx

Andrea said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this. Definitely the right thing to do.

Candace said...

Sounds like your grandma had a long life, and was loved by many. I felt better after we had my mother's service and felt that we had done our best for her, and I hope that you felt that way, too.

SueR said...

I'm so sorry you lost your Grandma, Kathy. Wrapping her in her quilt was the right thing.

Love your Criss Cross quilt. It doesn't even look like the same pattern as the sample, and I like your variation much better.

Linda said...

I am so glad that you honored your grandmother with the quilt! Such a wonderful thing to do! I find that since I have become a quilter that fabrics define moments in my life. The birth of my granddaughter (lime green & hot pink Princess flannel fabric), the list goes on. I hope my children will honor me in the same way!
((((((big huge hugs!!)))))
Remember to take some time for YOU!! :)
Linda

Greenmare said...

OH I think that was absolutely the right thing to do with that quilt! It must make you feel so good to know how much she loved it and how she must have thought of you everytime she felt it on her. That was wonderful. I hope you are coming through the rain of this time and will soon feel the sunshine again. big hugs~ Mare

Sweet P said...

I'm sorry to hear of your grandma's death. What a wonderful way to celebrate her life by having her buried in your quilt!

Your Criss Cross quilt looks great.

Tanya said...

I'm sure she is comforted all the more knowing that you've given up another link to her in a complete spirit of love.