Sunday, August 14, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching

Hello stitcher! 

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party where we hope you will get lots of inspiration and encouragement to help you on your stitching journey.


I have been obsessed with sewing hundreds of HST blocks this month for the "Oh say can you sew" mystery. Some of my hand work time today will be spent cutting apart and 
depapering these triangles. I have been using scissors for this step instead of rotary cutting the pieces. 


Since kindergarten I have enjoyed using scissors. There is no logical reason for why this makes me happy, especially when it's quicker to use the rotary cutter. But since I find it enjoyable, I'm going to enjoy some scissor time!




I will also spend some time hand stitching today. Here is the most recent photo of my meditative hand embroidery project.  The words are almost finished - just one more to go and then I can work on the butterfly and the 
flowers.

What are you hand stitching today? We'd love to see your project and the link up is below. A new feature added today is the ability to add a photo. Thanks to Kathi for this idea! This is for those folks who don't have a blog or instagram account, but would like to share their project with us. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

Sarah said...

I get exactly what you mean Kathy, I like using scissors too! Your word stitching is very neat. It will make a pretty picture when you finish.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Count me in on the scissors brigade! I cut very few of my pieces for Lucy Boston with a rotary blade. EPP projects tend to be travel projects for me and scissors are much easier to transport (and use on the go) than a what is essentially a round razor blade!

Kathy S. said...

Enjoy your scissor time. I too often just cut with scissors instead of the rotary cutter on projects like this (usually when the HST are 2.5" or less). Can't wait to see how this mystery turns out. I LOVE the 1.5" HSTs!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I am beginning the hand work on my quilted jacket today, hoping I can finish the jacket in time to enter it in the fair competition.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm glad the paper you're using makes HSTs so accurately! Sounds like the scissors are all you need for getting them ready to sew together. That would make a very pleasant Sunday afternoon activity! Enjoy, Kathy!

Ivani said...

It will be great to add some stitches to this beautiful project, Kathy.
Have a great week and Happy slow stitching.

CathieJ said...

I enjoy working with scissors too, but I prefer my rotary cutter for fabric. Your embroidery is very pretty. I am looking forward to seeing how you stitch the butterfly.

Miaismine said...

You’ve been busy stitching! Your embroidery project is coming along beautifully!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I much prefer scissors to rotary cutter being kind of old school for me. I was pleased and surprised to see the wonderful Sarah Fielke also say she prefers scissors. Lovely projects for slowing down kind of stitching today Kathy. Enjoy!

Chris said...

I find that trimming the paper piecing with scissors much easier on my hands than using the rotary cutter.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great piece to be embroidering! Happy stitching!

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
I like your meditative embroidery piece.
Have a great day!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I look forward to seeing your progress on the Oh Say can you Sew. I am stalled out on mine. Lol but I will get back to it. Your embroidery piece is looking wonderful . Happy quilting.

Deb said...

I'm a big scissors user from way back, most of the quilts I make are hand cut using scissors, I just never got the hang of the rotary cutter and there is something meditative when I use scissors. Your hand embroidery piece is so pretty.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, good luck with your projects. Using scissors must access some childhood memory of a happy time. Good for you. Have a great week.