Sunday, March 18, 2012

Do What You Can

Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the quilty things you can become involved in? There are quilt guild activities, special interest groups, on line mysteries and quilt alongs, quilt classes, community and church events, charity projects, and requests for blocks and quilts...the fun is never ending. How do you decide what to spend your time on and what to "pass" up?
Sometimes it feels like there is too much to humanly complete in one lifetime! There so many creative people finding ways to get involved and help others, and so little time and resources to get many of the jobs done.
One of my favorite charities is the Mennonite Relief Sale, which I have been attending the last Saturday of May for many years. For the last few years my small quilting group has donated a quilt that we worked on together (2011, 2010, 2009 quilt). This year our quilt won't be finished by the deadline, so it will go in next year's auction.
I also enjoy participating in the block challenges to make sampler quilts for the auction. One of those projects is the Quilt Festival block challenge that is organized by Loretta Martin. The 2012 theme was "Black and White Log Cabin". 
I made a wonky variation, challenging myself to make the four log cabin blocks using only my scissors...no rotary cutting equipment. It was really fun and I could see myself making a whole quilt using this idea. I did square up the four quadrants using my rotary cutter, and then squared up the entire block to make sure that it would fit the size requirements (12.5").
As always, they got a wide variety of creative blocks submitted. This is not a good photo of the blocks but if you want to see them
they are hanging at The Mill in St. Jacobs . The sign said that today is the last day to vote for your favorite block. On the lower left corner of the photo you can see the challenge fabric that is required to be visible in the blocks. 

6 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

How do you decide what to spend your time on and what to "pass" up?

I always wonder this when I am in the thick of it - & then I go through a dry period...

Luckily I am not tempted by mysteries & I am less & less enticed by quilt alongs.

I find that if I see enough ______ quilt then I don't "need" to make my own...

LuAnn said...

That's a great question. I don't know whether we put so much stress on ourselves because we are women, quilters or maybe both. I find I can get involved in more things just sitting here on the computer. There are so many great ideas on blogs and pinterest and lots of great charities to be involved in, too.

Heather said...

I participate in the opportunities that feel right to me. I'd love to do more, but it would drive me crazy.

Janet O. said...

It can be overwhelming. I don't belong to a guild to help keep the distractions to a minimum, but blogs provide me with more than enough!
Interesting to see all of the black and white blocks. Makes me feel like I am watching an old movie from the art deco era. : )

Mary Johnson said...

I have priorities ( my donation quilting), set limits (I now only accept HeartStrings tops for quilting to make time for my own piecing), I've been tempted to write a quilt book but know the website is less time consuming so I share my instructions there, finally I allow myself some time to play .... Embroidery and knitting right now although my knitting is limited because of the embroidery.

I set goals, I try to only allow a couple piecing projects at one time ( I'm not always successful) and I keep an eye on my UFO's.

My Mom started quilting right after I did 11 years ago...she's 30 years older than me and has already made a ton of quilts so I figure I've got lots of quilting years left to do all the things I want to do.

Ellen said...

It is so hard when I see so many wonderful quilts and ideas floating around. I do know that I want to make some charity quilts and I want to make quilts for family members as well. I don't like having too many large machine piecing projects going on at the same time so that sort of keeps me "in-check"!