Sunday, September 13, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching

This week I finished a 12" block for the Aberfoyle Fall Fair block challenge. The theme is 175 years of agriculture and each block has to have the three challenge fabrics.
I started with some machine pieced 4" chicken blocks (see Friday's post) and after the first 3 blocks decided to try to applique a corn stalk in the middle of the block... you know, for the chickens to have something to eat.

I altered a pattern from the "Use it up" book to make the corn stalk, which had to fit between the two columns of chickens. I was delighted that my hand applique skills have improved enough that I was able to stitch a design that was quite complicated (for me) with lots of thin pieces, points, and curves. 


So here it is... hope you can tell that it's a corn stalk!?!

I call it "We feed the chickens and the chickens feed us! 

What are you hands stitching today?
Link up your blog post below and share your creativity with us.






29 comments:

Alcea Rosea 31 said...

I loved your chooks but the corn makes it special.

KaHolly said...

Wow! It's just adorable, and oh, so clever!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I saw the chickens the other day and now this is just adorable!! What a great idea...love it.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I saw the chickens the other day and now this is just adorable!! What a great idea...love it.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love it! You did a great job! Such cute chickens.

Cath said...

Clever little chickens

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those are happy little chickens! Great block!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very interesting looking chickens - love them.

Chris said...

Great looking corn stalk. Wish all ours had 3 cobs each.

Needled Mom said...

LOVE the chickens and corn!!

Missy Shay said...

I love your block, it turned out great!

Stephie said...

Love your corn stalk - it definitely looks like the ones growing in the fields around here! Your appliqué looks great Kathy, I hope you're enjoying some more today :)

Rebecca said...

Oh boy..the corn stalk moved this whole project up a couple of notches in the fun factor!!!

Lisa J. said...

I can definitely tell that's a corn stalk.

Janet O. said...

Great job on your cornstalk, Kathy--and I'll bet the chickens appreciate your thoughtfulness. : )

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love it--the corn stalk is so fun!

Jeanna said...

I really love the chickens and the corn stalk. Very creative!

scraphappy said...

Beautiful ears of corn! What a great pairing with those tiny chickens.

SandraC said...

I love your chickens and your corn!

CathieJ said...

I love the way you personalized those chick blocks. It looks like a corn stalk to me.

Turid said...

What a lovely chicken quilt you've made. This one is going to my "to do"-list.

Suzanne said...

Love your quilt design!

Karen said...

Yes, it looks like a corn stalk. Creative.

Jeanne said...

Your corn stalk is wonderful! Love the chicken blocks, too. Great idea.

Ivani said...

clever idea Kathy, and I guess this is not a transgenic corn. :) Very well done. Have a great week! Hugs

Kyle said...

I like how you've combined different patterns to come up with your design. Sweet.

Deanna W said...

I was away on the weekend so I will be joining in a little late this week.Those are tiny wee chickens!! and yes it does look like a corn stalk!!

Teresa said...

Cute quilt and of course we can tell its a corn stalk

Kate said...

What a fun challenge piece.