Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2026

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the Slow Sunday Stitching party! We are stitching enthusiasts who value the slow process of creating unique projects with our own hands. We want to "smell the roses" and enjoy each day, and each project we spend time with whenever possible

This week however, it was not possible for me!
I finished up my Luhu Stitches bookmark and had this great idea to add an adhesive felt backing and then decided to do some blanket stitches around the outside. That was a big mistake!  Apparently you cannot stitch through an adhesive backed piece of felt. 

Well, you can, but the needle gets more gummed up with each stitch. The glue adheres to the needle and gets increasingly difficult to pull through.

And how do you get the glue off the needle? Well, if you wipe it with a tissue, it gets more gummed up with tissue fluff - everything sticks to it! If you try to pull the glue off the needle with your fingers, the glue stays and your fingers get covered in glue!

I hated every single buttonhole stitch around this treasure! That so rarely happens to me when hand stitching that I spent half the time wondering what my problem was. The problem was the glue. I dislike the stickiness of it. The threads were sticking to it, the needle was sticky and my skin was sticking to everything... ugh!

I did finish the bookmark but learned an important lesson - sdhesive backed felt should not be stitched through! But it's finished (although the corners are terrible) and the needle went right in the trash never to be used again.

Did anyone else have a successful finish this week? I'd love to hear about it - link up your blog post below!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. It is a very pretty finish though! Ive tried stitching though no sew bondaweb and had similar issues so I feel your pain. Sarah quiltingbythesea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly were in a sticky situation this week! Pun intended!
    I find wiping my needle with a tissue soaked in rubbing alcohol removes the sticky residue.
    Your bookmark is pretty, even though your corners are a tad wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And actually, the corners look pretty good too, all things considered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH no! Your bookmark is lovely despite the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might try an alcohol pad to remove the adhesive gunk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bookmark is adorable, Kathy! The adhesive backed felt sounds like a good idea - I'm sorry it was so hard to work with. I wonder what else you could do for a backing on the bookmark. I hope you have an enjoyable Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olive oil or peanut oil can easily remove glue. Then you would need to clean the needle with warm water and soap, or rubbing alcohol. If you are to do this after every 2 or 3 stitches, it will take a long time to finish something. So your best move would be to never stitch through sticky felt again. Lesson learned for all of us. Your bookmark is cute though. Hope your next needle project is more pleasant. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yikes! That sounds miserable!

    ReplyDelete