Saturday, August 13, 2011

Scrappy Saturday

I have been playing with the pieces I showed last Saturday (to see them click here). I had enough pieces to make 2 baby quilts and for some unknown reason there is no photo on my camera of the tops?! You'll have to trust me when I say that I am now quilting them.  Here is a photo of one of them all pin basted and ready to quilt. I'll use a white thread in the bobbin and a pink thread on top. I decided to quilt one with straight lines and the other with free motion loops so I don't get bored!
I also dug out some white scraps and have given into the temptation to make some 36 patch blocks from Crazy Mom's Quilt Along. Initially I was able to resist the quilt along because I don't have many 2 1/2" strips I could use. But then I saw Vivian's blogpost about using 2" strips...and I have a lot of those. 
Resistance is futile!
I love my first 4 blocks and am delighted with the scraps I am using up. Each block is using a different white and each of the coloured floral fabrics are scraps from other projects....top left is the border/binding fabric from this recently finished UFO, top right is the border/binding for this auctioned quilt, bottom right is made from leftover orphan charm squares, and bottom right was leftover from the baby quilts.
So although I am not happy that I have started yet another project (LOL) I am delighted with how many scraps this project will clear out. To see what other quilters are making with their scraps, hop over to So Scrappy.

14 comments:

  1. I haven't made anything for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I just didn't really have a plan ready or any good ideas. But I do now - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how sometime pictures seem to disappear?? Your quilts look beautiful and I really like your 36 patch blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty projects! It's hard to be negative about a new project that uses up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You will be assimilated!" LOL
    Beautiful, flowery 36 patch blocks! I love the small squares in blocks like this.I have some 64 patch blocks made mostly with leftovers from a watercolor quilt my mother made. Someday I'll figure out what I am going to do with them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty pretty pretty. Wish I could try this now too, but too busy with other projects. Maybe soon....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just know those baby quilts are wonderful and I like the 36 patch blocks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also didn't feel the vibe to work along with Amanda Jean in exactly the way she proposed. BUT I am using up a Layer Cake I won, by cutting four strips 2.5" and then making a 16 patch. Has some of the same look, but not so labor intensive.
    Interesting to see how she has inspired alternative versions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your take on the 36 patch quilt along. The white helps to add contrast that I thought was lacking in her version. Loving the pink twin quilts. They have come together so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you wrote that you were going to start some, you weren't kidding. Love your plan! They're lookin' good, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors on your 36-patch blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can say is "So many quilts...so little time!" Just give in an enjoy! Quilting is like teaching...no matter how long you work on things there is always something else you can do...so you might as well scrap along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smirking here...I knew you'd cave. LOL Your blocks look great and will help with the scraps volume.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This will be a gorgeous quilt - so much prettier than a bunch of scraps! but I know what you mean about another UFO!

    ReplyDelete