Monday, February 01, 2021

Design Wall Monday

My Grassy Creek mystery quilt top is done! 


I loved making this quilt and I'm delighted with how my colour and fabric choices worked out. Does anybody see a mistake before I quilt it? Other than the one light triangle on the bottom right? I have no explanation for how that happened!

I'm unofficially calling my version "Up Covid Creek without a paddle" because I worked on it during the famous lockdown period after Christmas. I ordered a mystery mug from Zazzle as a souvenir of this quilty adventure - you can see the products here for this mystery, and here for the previous mysteries.

On Saturday I met with 2 mystery quilter friends at a local park for a masked and socially distanced outdoor visit. This is Diane's version of the mystery on the left, and Nancy's version on the right. It's amazing to see how the design looks in different colours.

It was a quick visit because it was very cold and we could only tolerate the "great outdoors" for about a half hour before we couldn't feel our toes! But it was wonderful to be with other humans even briefly and to see their beautiful quilts.

Linking up to Small Quilts

14 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOL!! I absolutely LOVE your quilt title, Kathy! Thanks for sharing your quilt and meeting your Mystery friends to share theirs, as well. What a different look the green quilt has!

Jackie J said...

All of your quilts look very nice. They look so different from each other!!!

Also, I like your new banner quilt, very pretty.

scraphappy said...

Great finish! Always so much fun to finish a mystery now rather than letting it turn into a UFO.

julieQ said...

OH Kathy! I truly love it...so nice...perfect fabrics!! Go, girl, go!!

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome! And I love seeing your friends’ versions too. So pretty!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Turid said...

Your Grassy Creek is beautiful. I didn't do that mystery, had so many unfinished quilts.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks wonderful! You have your top finished early this year! Nice to have a quick visit with your friends to see their beautiful quilts too.

Rose Marie said...

You asked and I did find a flying geese block that was turned around on the outside edge on the right hand side, second one from the bottom. It is a small grey/neutral block. It just needs to be unstitched, rotated and sewn back on. If you can't find it, email me back and I can send you a photo with an arrow pointing to it.
Beautiful work and I do like your colours too. How wonderful to be outside and visiting with friends.

Rebecca said...

I can not see myself ever participating in the "mystery" part of the quilt along. But I love to see the different color ways that people use. I see something different every different color layout.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very interesting colors and the coffee mug already available. Nice quilt!

Deb said...

I too love the title, Up the Covid Creek! Keep kicking that Covid and dont let it get us down!
Great color combinations ladies. Thanks for sharing!

sandi s said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the colors and the mug is a wonderful addition. Hugs,

Janet O. said...

It is lovely, Kathy! Your colors do look so juicy--they look like citrus colors to me. The name is perfect!
And I love that you met up with friends in the park to share your quilts and visit, in spite of the cold and snow. Next time, mugs of hot soup or cocoa may be included.

Linda said...

Love your choice of colours for Grassy Creek, the hilt really”shines”. Great idea for its title! Pleased you bought the matching mug, a nice momento.