Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Small, Smaller, Smallest Blog Hop




Carol is hosting a new blog hop in March featuring small projects no bigger than a baby quilt. I adore miniature quilts so of course I had to get in on that hop.
I have been making miniature quilts for more than 20 years and have amassed quite a collection. It might be true that I am a tiny bit obsessed with miniature quilts and in fact I taught miniature quilt making classes for quite a few years. This is a photo of a small pile of 50+ miniature quilts from my collection. I can tell just by looking at the binding which quilt is which. And I love them all! 





But of course for this special blog hop I have started a new project! I am planning to make a little quilt of 9 patch blocks made from 1" squares. The unfinished block is 2" but once it is sewn into the quilt it will finish at 1.5". I only need about 200 more of these little guys and I'll have myself the makings for a new quilt for the blog hop!

I hear you thinking you may have seen this on my blog before because I have been making little 9 patch blocks for my RSC version of Omigosh, but this is a whole new miniature adventure! My RSC Omigosh nine patch blocks are all one colour, but these blocks are totally and deliciously scrappy!



Click here to learn more about the Small, Smaller, Smallest blog hop which starts on March 5th.

14 comments:

Kate said...

That is so tiny! Good luck with your smallest scrappy project.

Cathy said...

Now that's small! Looks like fun but I don't go any smaller than 1.5 inch squares. I'm not sure I'd be able to see or pick up a 1 inch square.

Anonymous said...

Do you starch your fabric when making miniature quilts? Also, I have a hard time with a quarter inch seam, what size is your seam allowance and what type of thread do you use? The squares look so perfect and mine are lacking. Curious minds want to know. Thanks, Dotti

Vicki said...

I can not wait to see this one!! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿงก

Louise said...

That stack of mini quilts shows you are a "little" obsessed :)

AnnieO said...

Adorable! I’ll just be watching you play with teensy blocks from the safety of my huge 1.5” strip bin. :)

Janet O. said...

Sounds like my kind of blog hop, Kathy! Though I am relatively new to the mini quilt arena (compared to your 20 years), they definitely have become an obsession!
Can't wait to see your tiny 9-patch!

Lyndsey said...

Loving the idea of a miniature 9 patch.

Jo said...

Sorry, but are your blocks 1" or 1.5" finished.

Ivani said...

OMG!! OMG!!!
I reaaly would love to see all those 50 minis.

Lisa J. said...

Of course you are doing this Kathy. I've signed up for the next one which is in May.

Sarah said...

So cute, but so small. Not sure I could work that tiny! I think we can safely say you are obsessed. ๐Ÿ˜€

Millie said...

Thou art insane. I know I'm nuts, but I'm not THAT crazy. Go to it, girl. Knowing you it will be wonderful.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is SOOOO tiny!!!!