Saturday, January 20, 2018

Scrappy Saturday


Angela and Mari have created a 10 block sampler project for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilters. We all know how much I love sampler quilts, so of course I started some blocks. The great thing about this project is that you can sew whatever size of block you prefer based on a 5 unit grid.
Because I have a lot of small scraps, I am making my blocks 5" finished, but you could make yours finish at 7.5", 10", 12.5", 15" or even 20"! I can't imagine working with a block that big, but some scrap quilters are doing it.
The RSC colour for January is blue and I couldn't wait to dig into the blue scraps. I easily had enough to make 4 of the first sampler blocks called "Red Cross". It seems like they should be made in red with this name and I might have to add some in red blocks later. But for now, here are 4 blue red cross blocks. I omitted the corner HSTs in the bottom left block and like how that one looks too.
Hop over to the weekly RSC link up and see more blue scraps projects.

23 comments:

SandraC said...

I like that one is different. This happened to me, but not on purpose!

Jo said...

Very nice interpretation. The colours are lovely

scraphappy said...

Love your blocks! I like that one is different. Red does seem like it would be better given the name. I might try to make a few extras for fun.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very nice Kathy - hope you are feeling somewhat better!

Mary said...

Good to see you're up to some stitching.

Deb A said...

You must be feeling better! Yea! Love that block without the triangle in the corner... that would make a neat scrappy quilt....

Louise said...

Those are some good looking blocks! Love the variety of true blues that you used.

AnnieO said...

I’m not one for samplers, but you do it well! I know you’ll enjoy every minute. Happy Saturday! Hope your energy is full forcesoon.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Great selection of blues in those blocks--
this block has been a 'hit' I think for everyone--
I got one made and maybe this week will get another one done, after seeing so many great blues this week in that block!!!!
enjoy, di

Cathy said...

Great blocks, all. It’s a pretty versatile block that almost begs for variations. Glad you answered the call!

Vicki said...

Love your blocks!!

Janet O. said...

Such a surprise to find you starting up another SAL!! NOT!
Good looking blocks, but it does seem wrong to be making a block named Red Cross in Blue.

Mari said...

Wow, 5 inch blocks! I'm impressed. These look great! And don't worry about red--there are a lot of blocks named "red cross!"

PaulaB quilts said...

I admire you for being able to' make those five-inch blocks so well. They will make a great rainbow sampler quilt. Keep up the good work!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun to see all the different little bits you used in your Squared Away blocks - they look wonderful!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks. I love the fabric nearly violet! Great blue red crosses!

Cathy said...

Of course you would go for the 5 inch version! Wonderful!

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Glad to see that you are feeling better and working with your teeny tiny pieces again :)

Angie in SoCal said...

Great blocks! I'm one of the ones making a big one. They were so easy to make.

Angie said...

Love your blue versions of the sampler block, even the "different" one! I've resisted starting this sampler, but it's been very tempting seeing all the great blocks being produced!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great blocks!!!

Ivani said...

The four look great, specially the diferent one.

Dar said...

Oooh like those blocks! The blue and white is so crisp looking.