Tuesday, December 12, 2017

UFO Update

The machine quilting has begun on my UFO of the month

I started with some stitch-in-the-ditch straight lines with the walking foot. This is how I usually start quilting a project in order to stabilize the whole thing. Once the straight lines were put in on both sides of the horizontal and vertical sashings, the walking foot was removed and the free motion foot was put on. 
quilting the teal Knot block



Then it was time for some serious quilting. I created a design with only one stop/start to go around the inside of each of the parts of the block.

the purple Knot block





There are 12 Knot blocks in this quilt and since part of the fun (for me) is quilting with different coloured threads, I am using a different thread colour in each block ... teal thread for the teal block, orange thread for the orange Knot, etc. 
The month is not quite half over, and the quilting is not quite half finished. When the blocks are quilted, I will design a quilting pattern for the sashing/border areas.

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Beautiful quilting--hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

I love this block and I love the sashing fabric. It looks like this is doable by the end of the month. There's nothing else much going on, right?
Pat

Mary said...

Go Kathy Go! Sew SEw Sew!!!

Deb A said...

Way to go Kathy! Love your quilting design. I really just need to pin a quilt and get it under the needle and see if I can get another finish this year. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

Teresa said...

Nice job on the quilting and the design.

Jo said...

That's a clever design.

Janet O. said...

Fun design you have created!
"the fun part is quilting with different coloured threads"--I just don't get that. Will you come change threads for me when I need to use multiple colors on a quilt?